Mount Baker (Coleman/Demming), good first climb?

I'm glad to have found this board, lots of great info!

3 friends and I with experience outdoor rock climbing, many multi day hiking trips, and limited experience mountaineering (never been on a glacier... so never practiced crevasse rescue) were thinking of trying the coleman/demming route on baker this may long weekend.

Basically, I'm just wondering if this is a decent first climb? Our plan was to camp for a few nights at the end of the trail just before the glacier. We were going to find some areas to practice crevasse rescue, self arrests etc... Our plan was 2 roped teams of 2.

We've all done quite a bit of reading (freedom of the hills, alpine climbing by the mountaineers, and am currently reading self rescues by the mountaineers). We've taken AST-1.

I realize the road to the trailhead is closed, but we were planning on parking at the closure and hiking it.

What do you all think? We definitely don't want to get in over our heads, but at the same time want something that will be a bit of a challenge. Ideally we would take a course, but we're all poor students... Thanks for any advice you have.

Edited by TankMasterFlex

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

CD on Baker was my first volcano snow slog way back when. I think it's one of the prettiest such climbs and a great choice for beginners.

Become very good at self arrest on the hardest snow you can find.

Have a ball.