Snow Creek Wall - Grand Arch

AlpineMonkey

We backed off today because it was too scarry. People in the old days had no fear I guess. I wasent about to risk running it out about 30 feet up no pro, 5.10+(?) slabs, risking taking a 60+ foot wipper directly on to the belay of 2 old quarter inch bolts. F-that route. I think Conor has some good pics to post soon.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That anchor may not be quite as bad as you think. The 1/4" with the square nut on it will probably come out pretty easy but that buttonhead maybe not - I can't tell from the picture but it looks like one of those 5/16 buttonheads that are surprisingly good 25 years later and a real pain in the neck when it comes time to pull them for replacement or simple removal. Few would complain if you took a flintstone rig up there and replaced one or added a fattie, though.

Craig - I didn't think the moves above that anchor were much harder than 10a (though indeed a bit r/o!). The "grand" arch is pretty mungy and we couldn't figure out where the route went after that pitch. The route has potential and if "rediscovered" (cleaned, retro'd) could become a high-quality trade route.

I was affraid about climbing out 30 feet on slab with bad holds and then being stuck out there. Unless there is a hidden crack, the dihedral to the right of the belay station looked like a flaring thin thing. I couldnt tell if I would be able to get pro in it or not.

I pulled 4 ticks off me, I think Conor had about the same. The reason why my hair is so short is because my mom butchered my hair the night before trying to give me a haircut. I had to shave it all off to cover the mistakes. :)