[TR] Dragontail/ Colchuck Glacier - Tripple Couloirs recon 4/31/2009

Calder

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot more snow now than when the first "winter" ascents of either were done.

Rock shoes get worn a lot more than crampons on most of the Cascades "First Winter Ascents".

Gotta love our climate in WA state! - it defies the seasons.

Looks like a little more snow on the runnels then when we were up there on April 26. Attempted the runnel direct route, no ice, just sugar snow and rock. Got 60 meters and bailed on the attempt due to reaching the turn around time. Climbing the runnels without ice is um...hard? My partner was stellar, led the full 60 meters. Pro was mainly pitons. Looking forward to trying it next year, with ice. BTW: I heard cutthroat doesn't have ice (report from last weekend May 3).

Edited by icmtns

A lot more snow now than when the first "winter" ascents of either were done.

Probably about the same as when we did the Serpentine but less than the freak conditions for the Backbone. I'd been half way up the Backbone in more typical conditions and the actual route stays pretty dry. On that attempt we were shut down by high wind/weather not snowed up rock.

http://www.ademiller.com/climbing/gallery/cascades/dragontail_serpentine_ridge_2004/slides/1_North_Face_from_Colchuck_Lake_2.htm