Fitness evaluation before attempting Rainier?

Threxx

This should be a fun thread.

Honestly, it sounds as though experience will be a bigger limiter for you than fitness. You should seriously consider joining a guided trip if you have no prior experience with mountaineering. The standard route up Rainier isn't the most technical climb in the world, but its objective hazards are significant for an inexperienced climber.

Have you climbed Mt. Rainier?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a mountain or hill near you, hike up with a weighted backpack (collapsable camping containers or milk jugs filled with water work well) and the heaviest hiking boots you have. Dump out the water at the top to save wear and tear on your knees for the way down. If not big hills, walk stairs with the heavy boots. Running is great, eliptical too, but once a week or more with boots and actual elevation is really helpful. And you can increase the backpack weight 5 or 10 pounds a week (don't go overboard though). Two of the keys are pacing and hydration, and the guides should take care of the first. Good luck, and good on you for not taking it lightly.

Threxx, My personal "test" to see if I am ready for Rainier is to see if I can run 10 miles with lots of hills and feel like could do more. That being said, even a marathon is no training for Rainier... too short. You will be out for 6,8+ hours the day after slogging up to Muir, get's deep into the mental stamina aspect of our sport. Sounds like your workin' it like a job though... I hope the weather gods bless your journey with cold, clear skies. Good Luck!