Valor and Bravery Awards

Mike_Gauthier

Not necessarily a climbing story, but interesting none the less. I wanted to pass some good news along... Here is the press release, and below that is the nomination.

Mount Rainier Climbing Ranger and Climbing Guide Recognized For Their Efforts During 2002 Rescue

A Mount Rainier National Park climbing ranger and a renowned Mount Rainier climbing guide will be receiving a Valor Award and a Citizen’s Award for Bravery from the U.S. Department of the Interior at an awards ceremony in Washington DC on May 6. National Park Service Climbing Ranger Chris Olson and Climbing Guide Dave Hahn, who currently works with Rainier Mountaineering Inc., of Ashford, WA, will be receiving their awards from Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar for the rescue of a badly injured climber on Mount Rainier on June 25, 2002.

Chief Ranger Chuck Young, who will be representing Mount Rainier National Park at the annual ceremony, commented, “The efforts these two individuals took to complete the rescue of the critically injured climber during the 2002 climbing season was nothing short of extraordinary.” Young explained that, “ . . .even after surviving the crash of the helicopter that was flying the rescuers up the mountain and helping with the rescue of the injured pilot, they continued on with their mission to successfully complete the rescue at an extremely hazardous area of the mountain”.

On June 25th, 2002, a climber ascending Liberty Ridge on the north side of Mount Rainier was severely injured when struck in the head by a very large falling rock. His partners requested a rescue for the unconscious man via a personal cell phone. Accessing, stabilizing, treating and rescuing the patient on Liberty Ridge is quite hazardous and involved continued exposure to the same rock fall hazards. Because of their climbing and rescue abilities, Chris Olson and David Hahn were selected for the mission.

While being inserted by contract helicopter on the glacier at the base of Liberty Ridge, the ship crashed and was completely destroyed. Remarkably, Olson, Hahn and the pilot were not seriously injured, though Olson was struck by the engine and doused in oil. Though stressed and shaken, Olson and Hahn regained their composure and assisted in evacuating the pilot via a US Army Chinook Helicopter. Afterward, the two refocused their attention to the injured climber and ascended to the accident site to help complete the rescue. The rescue involved patient stabilization and a long technical rope rescue through the hazardous terrain back to the helicopter crash site for hoist extraction. This dramatic and complex rescue took place in a very challenging and dangerous location. It was Chris Olson and David Hahn’s skill, tenacity, and extraordinary personal efforts that allowed the National Park Service to rescue this climber.

The Valor Award is presented to Department of the Interior employees who have demonstrated unusual courage involving a high degree of personal risk in the face of danger.

The Citizen's Award for Bravery is granted to private citizens for heroic acts or unusual bravery in the face of danger. Recipients have risked their lives to save the life of a Departmental employee or the life of another person on property owned by or entrusted to the Department of the Interior.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – APRIL 29, 2009

CHUCK YOUNG, CHIEF RANGER 360-569-2211 X3300

And here is the nomination w/ more information.

Liberty Ridge is recognized as one of North America’s 50 classic climbs. It has sustained sections of ice, extended threats of rock and ice fall, and difficult glacial terrain to navigate. Successful parties generally take four to five days to complete the entire route, and though it has such an esteemed distinction, Liberty Ridge only sees 150 attempts on average during a typical climbing season. Of those attempts, less than 1/2 complete the ascent. Moreover, Liberty Ridge has claimed more lives per attempt than any other route on Mount Rainier.

On June 25th, a climber ascending the ridge was severely injured when struck in the head by a very large falling rock. His partners requested a rescue for the unconscious man via a personal cell phone. Accessing, stabilizing, treating and rescuing the patient on Liberty Ridge is quite hazardous and involved continued exposure to the same rock fall hazards. Because of their climbing and rescue abilities, Chris Olson and David Hahn were selected for the mission.

While being inserted by contract helicopter on the glacier at the base of Liberty Ridge, the ship crashed and was completely destroyed. Remarkably, Olson, Hahn and the pilot were not seriously injured, though Olson was struck by the engine and doused in oil. Though stressed and shaken, Olson and Hahn regained their composure and assisted the pilot in being evacuated via a US Army Chinook Helicopter. Afterward, the two refocused their attention to the injured climber and ascended to the accident site to help complete the rescue. The rescue involved patient stabilization and a long technical rope rescue through the hazardous terrain back to the helicopter crash site for hoist extraction.

This dramatic and complex rescue took place in a very challenging and dangerous location. It was Chris Olson and David Hahn’s skill, tenacity, and extraordinary personal efforts that allowed the National Park Service to rescue this climber. In the face of an aviation catastrophe, Olson and Hahn reached well beyond the normal practices and duties of rangers and mountain guides. After a near death experience, the pair still assisted their pilot and then unselfishly returned their attention to the injured climber. In doing so, they exemplified courage, outstanding ability, fortitude and compassion. For their exceptional efforts, determination and heroic bravery, we nominate Chris Olson with a Department of Interior Valor Award and David Hahn with a Citizens Award for Bravery.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gator, thanks for passing along. Many of us thought it amazing at the time that Dave Hahn and Chuck Young, after their helo crash survival, kept after it and continued with their rescue of the stricken climber. Glad to see their recognition for it.

I know the Interior Dept distributes a printed publication each year listing their honor awards: I was given one in the recent past. I've looked online, but can't find--is there a site or source where us non-insider/non-gov't employee -types can access the annual Interior Dept honor award announcements?

Pindude, subtle correction, it was Chris Olson, not Chuck Young, who was the ranger.

Well, I couldn't convince the Sect. of Int. and the NPS to move the ceremony back for Dave Hahn... I only have so much pull. :)

As for your question, I don't know where the NPS or DOI would list all of their previous award recipients. Let me ask around but I have not seen such a list before.

What's exciting is that no ranger has received an award like this from Mount Rainier since at least the 80's, and actually, that might go back as far as the 70's. I put in three other rangers for Valor Awards too, and hope to see them acknowledged next year.