CC Online Ticklist?

shaoleung

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a great idea.

Seems every spring they hatch in different places at different times, so if we had a list to keep track of them, we could avoid them.

I hate those little vampires.

I'll start:

Quite a few last weekend at Warrior Wall area (Lworth).

Fox: Nice! I brought one home from our last adventure. Tick list indeed.

Back to Shaoleung:

I'm not sure there was any real reason why such a proposal never got incorporated, thought I don't know what an "8nu style tick list" really is. But we here at cc.com like to pooh pooh any new proposal or anything that sounds "commercial" so if it includes a reference to a commercial website it is likely to get panned.

Yours might be a fun proposal. See the "5 top climbs" thread currently on the Climbers' Board.

Tick lovers - Check yer chodes... they love it down there!

Mattp: my friend was interested in keeping track of the climbs he'd done. He does a smattering of alpine routes, cragging and Leavenworth trad and sport. The idea is more of a database so that when those of us with crappy memory are trying to remember the names of the 3 climbs we did last season, we can look it up and see what thoughts we had. This would save us having to flip through our dozen or so guide books for that illegible note about who led what and when.

I'm not sure how it would work exactly... but to avoid the pissing contest, I suppose it would have to exclude any sort of comparative BS. No running totals or opinions on how easy that 11c was.

I personally think this is a bad idea because we'd all argue that our own routes (or our friend's routes) should be at the top of said tick lists. We all think our own routes are the hardest in the Cascades and everyone else's are mere cruises.

my friend was interested in keeping track of the climbs he'd done. He does a smattering of alpine routes, cragging and Leavenworth trad and sport. The idea is more of a database so that when those of us with crappy memory are trying to remember the names of the 3 climbs we did last season, we can look it up and see what thoughts we had.

Back in the day we called that a journal. If you just want to brag on all the climbs you have done..that is easy..just post a TR and it'll be around forever. Kinda like a journal with pictures and then everyone can add their own comments to your adventure as well.

Just a thought on journals. I have been going back through mine for various reasons, often just to match the entries to old photos I have of the climbs.

What I find, years later, is there is never enough details in the journel. Some of my better climbs have little written about them in the journel besides, mtn, elevation, partner and may be, if I am lucky some time frames. Three or four lines at best.

Some of the things that seemed trivial at the time, like the gear and clothing used, conditions, or how I faired on the climb personally aren't there.

I have half a dozen climbs I need to write up from this winter and have yet to do it. But when I do I'll add all the little details this time around as trival as they seem at the moment.

Best bet to document your own climbs is take lots of photos and write down the details. Better yet do both and write a short story of the adventure as well. That might make a great TR here as well if you are willing to share. Not what I was thinking when I first posted but something like this.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/875785/TR_Mt_Deltaform_N_E_Face_Lowe_#Post875785

You'd be amazed at what you discover years later rereading your old writings.

Hey all, I did a little surgical editing in this thread and I'd like to ask that we keep it polite enough in here. We've already had one recent Climbers Board trainwreck with the whole stolen draws drama, so lets keep the venom and insults out of this one.

Hey all, I did a little surgical editing in this thread and I'd like to ask that we keep it polite enough in here. We've already had one recent Climbers Board trainwreck with the whole stolen draws drama, so lets keep the venom and insults out of this one.

:tup:

and ditto on waht dane said too - i find looking back on my old tr's that i'm deeply in love w/ myself and i should immediately have meself cloned so i can start making sweet, sweet, sweet love :)

Just a thought on journals. I have been going back through mine for various reasons, often just to match the entries to old photos I have of the climbs.

What I find, years later, is there is never enough details in the journel. Some of my better climbs have little written about them in the journel besides, mtn, elevation, partner and may be, if I am lucky some time frames. Three or four lines at best.

Some of the things that seemed trivial at the time, like the gear and clothing used, conditions, or how I faired on the climb personally aren't there.

I have half a dozen climbs I need to write up from this winter and have yet to do it. But when I do I'll add all the little details this time around as trival as they seem at the moment.

Best bet to document your own climbs is take lots of photos and write down the details. Better yet do both and write a short story of the adventure as well. That might make a great TR here as well if you are willing to share. Not what I was thinking when I first posted but something like this.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/875785/TR_Mt_Deltaform_N_E_Face_Lowe_#Post875785

You'd be amazed at what you discover years later rereading your old writings.

I couldn't agree more. I made a blog for myself so I could write about my experiences climbing. I have no idea who reads it other than my parents, occasionally my friends and my climbing partners. For the most part, I like to write it for myself - I enjoy going back and reading what I've done, seeing the progression I've made as a climber from my first lead on Substation at 38 to improving my crack climbing skills last weekend at Leavenworth. It also gives me a context for the photos my partners and I take so that the many details about the experience won't be forgotten in some photo album years later.

Edited by Valhallas

Great ideas! I keep a paper journal and don't print my pics for it. Looking over it, there definitely is not enough detail. Unlike some of my climbing partners, I don't remember details of gear needed for climbs I did years ago.

Valhallas - would you mind PMing your blog address so I can check it out?

Thanks!