MSG XGK or Whiseperlite Int'l?

jmo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen an XGK in action a few times at altitude, they look like great stoves. I hated my whisperlite... always having to replace seals and scrub out clogs in the fuel line.

I switched to a Primus eta power and MSR reactor. I hate polluting landfills with my empty canisters, but they work so darn well!

XGK if you want bomber, bulletproof action. I love my new version one. Of course, my original whisperlite is still going after 20 years..... changed a few o-rings and replaced the pump once, but never an issue. I usually maintain them thoroughly once a year, and then double check them midseason. (course always carry a stripped down maint kit too) Both will require SOME maintenance, but should last a hell of a long time.

If you want a general purpose climbing/backpacking/travel/whatever stove go for the Whisperlite.

if you want a general purpose stove for above freezing temps, get a pocket rocket or other canister stove. Quicker to start, smaller, lighter, all around superior and you can buy canisters most anywhere - S. America, NZ, Australia, Europe (Asia being a bit more difficult to source)