Snowcat available May 23: Mt. Hood

I will be climbing the South side in a party of 6 on May 23.

I have reserved a cat for 3:00 am (leaving Timberline and dropping off at the top of Palmer). We have room for 5 or 6 more climbers. The more climbers we get, the cheaper the ride is for everyone.

The cat is $200 and will be evenly divided among all climbers (Cash only) on the morning of the climb.

The cat will not wait for late arrivals, so we plan on meeting at Timberline around 2:00 am to register and gear up.

Jen

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jen,

I had posted a similar inquiry two years ago with only a couple interested replies. Ended up booting up in calf-deep crust.

Met a few climbers coming down today that had the cat ride up (the bastards! :-) and they had a few skiers help pay for the ride, don't know how they all met up.

Regards,

Bill

A few years ago, I rode that old belching thing up the palmer. I was approached in the parking lot outside the climbers cave by someone that had it reserved. We piled that thing full and as I remember it was only $20 each. You might want to take that approach if no one from here commits.

When they get the rope-tow hooked up on the old chute, we'll all be in luck. I actually would like to take the cat just once; I don't mind the hike to the palmer, but would like to smell the inside of the cat just once.

p.s. a guy flipped me off one time that was a cat rider. Killed my day.

When they get the rope-tow hooked up on the old chute, we'll all be in luck. I actually would like to take the cat just once; I don't mind the hike to the palmer, but would like to smell the inside of the cat just once.

p.s. a guy flipped me off one time that was a cat rider. Killed my day.

Once in the 1930's there was proposal to build a tram from cloud cap inn to the summit. They had funding and all, but the FS lawers shot it down, and the funding was lost.

Oh, yeah. Fuck the snowcats on the southside, These fuckers will tell you that you have to ascend the hill to make sure you're out of "their way".....

Wrong!!!!! Fuck nutz!!!

Snow cats are supposed to YEILD to climbers and skiers traveling up hill....

• 11 months later...

Jen - I've already climbed from Timberline to the summit twice. The trek from Timberline to Palmer is a boring pain in the ass that proves nothing about anyone's ability to climb the whole way. Why waste the time and energy?

We have 4 climbers going up on the 23rd to summit on the 24th. We would be glad to share the ride if there's still room. We were planning to start earlier (1:00 AM). Let me know what your status is.

The newest Timberline snowcats cost about a quarter million dollars each and have 500hp diesel engines. They have been seen up to the base of Crater Rock and I suspect that if snow conditions were right they could carry on up to the Hogsback.

Do not approach a moving snowcat. Move off the path and out of the way. If you need help then wave your arms over your head and wait for the machine to open it's doors.

I just think it would be fun to ride in one. A few years back I rode the lifts up to the top of the Palmer, just put my pack on the seat next to me. It was a blast and made it a lot easier carrying that case Dead Guy ale.