Top 5 routes in PNW

rocky_joe

What routes have you absolutely loved (or hated for that matter)? Best Rock, Best Views, Most Interesting Climbing. Share your favorite NW routes here, maybe you've got one that isn't done commonly. They can be alpine, ice, rock, whatever got you stoked. Also, photos are bonus points (although I'm not sure anyone's keeping track)!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Washington:

Davis Holland/Lovin Arms, Index

4342013_10Ab.JPG

Midway, Castle Rock

MidFirst.jpg

N. Face, Nooksack Tower

140nooksack_sm.jpg

Burgner Stanley, Prussik Peak

squeeze.jpg

Liberty Ridge, Mt. Rainier

20070618_02RNR_011.jpg

With the exception of Nooksack Tower, these are all popular routes. They are popular for good reason. There's good reason Nooksack is not popular, too. It is not easy, it is not easy to get down from, and it is not featured in the "Select" guidebooks. It is a great climb on one of Washington's coolest peaks, and full value, though.

Index - Heaven's Gate

ICE%2BBlack%2BButtes%2B018.jpg

Squamish - Freeway

IMG_1287.jpg

Gunsight Peak - East Face

E_Face_Splitter.JPG

Colchuck Balanced Rock - West Face

99823129.dwaSAIeU.P7050918.jpg

Forbidden - NW Face

morane.jpg

P7260074.JPG

Others?.... Grand Wall, DH-LA, Springbok Arete, anything South side Prusik, Dragons of Eden, The Passenger, other Gunsight, Southern Pickets Traverse, Cosley-Houston on Colfax, Borderline->Angel's Crest->High Planes, NR Stuart, SE Buttress Cathedral, NE Buttress Goode, Direct North Face Vienesse, East Pillar Slesse, Center Stage - Roan Wall, Chianti - Rebel Yell

E Face, Gunsight

Dragons of Eden, Dragontail

Clean Break, Juno Tower

Heaven's Gate, UTW Index

W Face, Colchuck Balanced Rock

Runner up's:

Der Sportsmen, Prusik Pk.

Springbok Arete, Les Cornes

DHLA, UTW Index

Megeladon Ridge, Mt. Goode

Complete N Ridge, Mt. Stuart

I can't be the only one that was completely unimpressed with the NE Buttress of Sleese...

Coleman Glacier Headwall on Baker, Nisqually Icefall late season on Rainier, N. Face Burgundy Spire, the "Wine Spires"(Chianti, Chablis,Pernod), Backbone Ridge-Dragontail, South face of Cathedral Peak, Cruel Finger,the Flagpole,other Nightmare Needles, N. Face of Bear Mt., East Wilman's Spire.

The five coolest routes in the northwest I've flailed up, though not necessarily the best or hardest:

Mt. Stuart - Girth Pillar (with Ice Cliff)

East Face of Whitehorse - Hirst / Larsen (shameless plug)

Snow Creek Wall - White Slabs Direct (in winter)

Snow Creek Wall - Hyperspace

Index - Sloe Children

I'm pleased to see Darrington show up in two posts so far. I have always thought it was one of the best local climbing areas! Dreamer and Roan Wall are fantastic, but there are a lot of other good climbs up there!

Maybe the new 22-pitch behemoth on Squire Ck Wall?

Kevin needs to get out more often if he thinks "Blownout" makes the top five of anything in the PNW. Maybe the top 5 at Beacon.

Isnt the "top five" a personal opinion? What can I say? I am a beacon ho......got to have it. I have gotten out. Before 2006 I climbed all the fing time. I still prefer beacon to alot of the listed climbs above.