Passport vs. Enhanced License

Crillz

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about it as I just renewed my DL, but I'm going to stick with a passport. I don't know if passports have these now, but the Enhanced DL has an RFID in it . I'm not psyched about that because of this kind of stuff:

[video:youtube]-XXaqraF7pI

It might be tin-foil hat material, but I'm not happy with the tech in general. I don't think the E-DL has as much protection designed in as the Passport does.

At anyrate, E-DL vs. Passport, I'm choosing Passport because it will most likely allow travel in more countries (not just Canada) with less hassle.

Canadian border guards are dumb cunts.

I agree. I've had some shitty experiences trying to get into Canada. Quick ones that come to mind.

1)I got locked in an interigation room for a couple of hours one time.

2)Wasted at least 2 hours one time, and my buddy got denied entry. "We'll let you in, but he's got to go back." (fuck canada that day - went to Index instead). Top it off, US agents screwed with us on the way back in. "We hassle everyone that doesn't get let into Canada." WTF.

Go with the passport.

Passports are an internationally requignised form of identification suitable for all your travels.

An enhanced ID is just an ID badge suitable for travel between Canada and the US (possibly mexico as well?), and may not be suitable for all forms of travel.

And the whole RFID thing becomes more and more disturbing the deeper you look. Not real keen on the government broadcasting my personal data on radio frequencies. ..... although in reality, it is just a matter of time before that technolgy is in our passports as well, my Canadian passport is chipped with biometrics.

I just applied for one last week and it was a nightmare to say the least. I was the first one in line at 0930 and after submitting the necessary paperwork and waiting for the interview I did not get out of the DOL until 1300. With the EDL you can travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The DOL gives you an aluminum carrying case that blocks the radio frequency when you are not using the license. The DOL employee insisted that there are firewalls and security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accessed by unauthorized devices. The license does not emit a signal until it comes within proximity of an authorized reader device. It's much cheaper ($15) than a passport, but If I could do it again I think I would have chosen that option.