theft at little si !!

bretjohnston

Bill is very wise. Fixed draws on a low angle 5.10 make no sense all. On overhanging terrain cleaning the draws might prove to be a major undertaking so I can see why you would want to leave them up. Some of us that enjoy steep sport lines are grateful to come across fixed draws, no more monkeying around for hours trying clean draws while on rap. Also it is fun to throw yourself at a hard routes that you might not get up. If you don't send, no worries just pull your rope and have a nice day. Again this is more aimed at steep sport routes at developed sport crag.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bret Johnston!

Gear left on a climb is trash. Someone was kind enough to, hopefully, recycle your trash for you. Litterbug.

My favorite post above was the "Duuude! Climbing 5.19N is so frickin' hard it's like climbing in another DIMENSION! It's like you're breaking free of the laws of physics and becoming pure ENERGY! These mere Earthlings won't understand" Well played!

I'm going to spare the personal shots I really really want to send to many of you.

I am very disapointed at the level of discourse by many of the people in this discussion but it is CC.com what do you expect. I am a trad and alpine climber so I am well versed in bootying gear. However, when I see fixed draws on a route (overhanging or not, if I sent the route or not) I know to leave them in place. Someone obviously is serious about pushing their ability level. How can something be wrong with this. You would really have no knowledge of modern sport climbing tactics or no morals to believe it's OK to take multiple fixed draws off a route. IMHO It's the same as stealing fixed lines off a project.

As for the "it is an eye sore arguement" It's effing Little SI.... big whoop.

Bottom line, Bret meant nothing negative to come of this. He simply wanted to report his draws stolen. This discussion is pathetic. Have some respect!

Actually, only part of it is pathetic. There is some good in this thread. A honest good question comes out of this. Is it OK (right or wrong) to leave draws hanging on "moderate" routes?

Bolts have been a sore issue for decades now (as an eye sore). Draws hanging on them obviously makes them more visable and therefore more offendable. Then we get bans to climbing in certain areas or restrictions to bolting in general. I am not suggesting that draws only are the problem, but they could very well be part of the problem. Just a conjecture and looking at a bigger picture than just "someone stole my stuff".

Too bad the offenders didn't just leave them at the bottom. Stealing isn't cool.

While I'm not from NC, I did live there. Went to Ship Rock a lot among other areas. There were definitely pissing contests... but usually after lots of bad beer and nothing to do with the climbing. Great rock there too... must get back.

Oh... and I definitely saw some draws hanging idle on someones' projects.

OMG, so I left my wallet on the sidewalk outside my favorite beer store so that it would be there when I came back in a few days for another sixer and somebody totally stole my shit! WTF? THEFT ON 148th!!! Plus, those cards totally have my name on them. I go shopping all the time -- unless you intend to keep them in your wallet, I will see you!! :anger:

How's that 5.8c/d coming, bitch??

Hi Bret Johnston!

Gear left on a climb is trash. Someone was kind enough to, hopefully, recycle your trash for you. Litterbug.

My favorite post above was the "Duuude! Climbing 5.19N is so frickin' hard it's like climbing in another DIMENSION! It's like you're breaking free of the laws of physics and becoming pure ENERGY! These mere Earthlings won't understand" Well played!

you fuck up your brain when you broke your lid, didn'tcha?? tool....

I'm going to spare the personal shots I really really want to send to many of you.

I am very disapointed at the level of discourse by many of the people in this discussion but it is CC.com what do you expect. I am a trad and alpine climber so I am well versed in bootying gear. However, when I see fixed draws on a route (overhanging or not, if I sent the route or not) I know to leave them in place. Someone obviously is serious about pushing their ability level. How can something be wrong with this. You would really have no knowledge of modern sport climbing tactics or no morals to believe it's OK to take multiple fixed draws off a route. IMHO It's the same as stealing fixed lines off a project.

Bottom line, Bret meant nothing negative to come of this. He simply wanted to report his draws stolen. This discussion is pathetic. Have some respect!

:tup:

OMG, so I left my wallet on the sidewalk outside my favorite beer store so that it would be there when I came back in a few days for another sixer and somebody totally stole my shit! WTF? THEFT ON 148th!!! Plus, those cards totally have my name on them. I go shopping all the time -- unless you intend to keep them in your wallet, I will see you!! :anger:

How's that 5.8c/d coming, bitch??

I don't climb anymore, haven't you heard? I had to abandon all those projects. Yr welcome to get on them; with your gimpy leg, they'll be just your speed.

:tup:

I think I'm going to leave DRep with the final word here and lock this thread.

Sorry Off...I just wanted to add this final note:

A note from one of the owners of the board: These my my thoughts and aren't necessarily those of Timmy or Jon.

It is sad to see someone like Ben vowing to not send people to this board. This place has always been a little bit of "Wild West" and we are obviously more permissive than some other forums in terms of moderation. One thing that is hard to "moderate" is respect.

Thats part of what make CC.com a fun place. I'll admit I've participated in poking fun at people, it can be a good laugh. And there are some that really don't give a rip about the site or anyone here. Again, since we are permissive we usually don't ban people for being nilihists.

The strength of this board is in its numbers. The number of people sharing information. The number of people who on Monday after a weekend in the hills can tell you exactly what a routes condition is. Then then are those who are just more knowledgeable than you are. If you show them a bit of respect, they'll stick around.

They'll also observe when you treat their friends with respect. And without them we are less.

So this is a request. I know what this thread reperesented was a loaded question. People had their opinions about leaving gear on a route. But its no reason to be disrepectful.

Show some respect. If you want to dabble in disrespect, take it to the spray forums. Keep your insults and tuanting out of the main forums.

The majority of people come to CC.com for climbing information, not to see someone drug through the mud for posting a legitimate concern.

So if you care about CC.com as a resource for climbing, show a little respect. Show respect for those that might have an opinion different then yours. We have an awesome, living, resource here. But everytime you turn a climber away from CC.com with disrespect, you lessen the site.

Thanks,

/porter