Darrington roads

mountainsloth

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just up there today with my daughter 4 wheeling. The road to 3 O'clock is clear for about 5-6 miles (before the cut off to Exfoliation Dome). At that point it's blocked by a huge snow slide, trees and all. The slide is maybe 15' high and 100' across. I don't think it will be melting any time soon.

Was the road to that point passable by a normal car or do you need high clearance?

thanks for the update. I cannot remember how long the road is to the 3 o'clock rock trail head is, any idea how much this adds to the hike in?

Not that much, maybe another 10 minutes or so?

went up to 3 oclock rock today. It was a solid 45 minute walk to the 3 oclock rock TH from the avi across the road. lots of snow on the road still but should be gone in a couple weeks. the avi across the road will take much longer as well as cutting a tree up that came down with the debris. the trail to 3 oclock was snow free but the bottom pitch of both silent running and total soul is buried under snow. enjoy the solitude while you can.

You walk fast. That 45 minute walk took us an hour and ten minutes yesterday. It was nice up there, though.

MtManDoug.jpg

mountainmandoug reaches for the crack that he finds disappointing

SilentRainbow.jpg

a snowy Exfoliation Dome in the background

The good news is that the roadbed doesn't look as if it has been damaged. When the avvy debris melts, we may be able to drive right in (assuming that somebody has by then picked up the unclaimed firwood).

Right now there is soft snow on most of that 3 miles of road, too, though this will be gone soon (I hope). Meanwhile, the wooded approach is probably dry but that boulder field below the Witch Doctor Wall is probably now covered with firm snow, making it easier to cross/climb up to the slopes below Solar Wall.

Headed up on Sunday to climb Silent running with my friend Martha.

Approach:

It takes an additional 50-60 minutes to get to the 3 O'clock parking lot (which will get easier as more snow melts). The trail to the base of 3 O'clock is in pretty good shape with only a little snow at the end. Martha and I cleared all of the trees from the road that we could move without a chainsaw on the hike out, but there are at least 5 that require a saw or multiple people to move. There is also one large rock that will require a couple of people to move it.

Route:

The first half of pitch 1 is totally under snow. Since there is little gear here, we just cruised up to the first belay and started from there. The rest of the route is dry with pitch 7 being a bit mossy. Such a fun route! :)

The tree / avalanche that blocks the road (it will take a lot of sun or a ton of shoveling to clear it)

TreeAvalanche.JPG

Walking the snowy road

SnowRoad.JPG

Trees blocking the road beyond the 3 O'clock parking lot

Trees3OParking.JPG

Base of silent running

3OClockBase.JPG

Exfoliation dome is melting out nicely :)

ExfoliationDome.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Great news! Sorry I couldn't help.

There are more blowdowns, but nowhere near as many as last year, and I don't think any of them are real big. There are also some large rocks in the road not far beyond the slide. It'll take a couple of folks to move them.

Way to go on the road block! :brew:

There are probably about 5-10 more trees until you hit 3 O'clock TH. There is a HUGE pile of trees there to go further up towards Green Giant Buttress and other walls. Not sure about the deadfall left on the road to Exfoliation dome though...

Way to go on the trees you guys. I went up there with my saw yesterday and found the road clear already. COOL!

The road to Green Giant is drivable (in my jeep) probably two thirds of the way in? Of course I had my son with me to lift up the really low hanging stuff ;-)

Six of us headed up on Saturday armed with multiple saws (thanks to alpinefox for the extra saw) and a chainsaw (thanks to cfire for trusting me with his skis, I mean chainsaw).

The Forest service (or someone else) cleared through to the 3 O'clock TH for the most part. Since we had already had all the tools and planned on not climbing on Saturday, we went and took most of the trees out on the way to Green giant buttress (others remain once the road becomes 4WD required).

The downside? We did not have a chance to clear all the way up to Exfoliation dome. There is still a large amount of dead fall there including several chainsaw required trees.

The routes on 3 O'clock are starting to get a descent amount of travel and are cleaning up nicely. Go and get your fill! :brew: