• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
RodJ

New Smith Rock '09 Supplement - 200 'new' routes

I go no on the bridge but don't get to Smith much, so maybe thats .02 of a regular vote :grin:, but I want to thank you for both bringing the supplement out and for donating the extra to the SPCA.

Regards

Bill :wave:

Bill,

Thanks for your thanks.

It occurs to me that everyone might not know who the ASCA is, so here's a link: http://www.safeclimbing.org/

I will also be sending some of the proceeds to the Access Fund: http://www.accessfund.org

Rod

LOL, I was joking on the SPCA crack (Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals) The thanks was genuine Rod.

Regards

Bill

So we are supposed to build a bridge to save someone from wading the river? Sounds like a tragic accident, but no reason to build a bridge when a perfectly safe one already exits. I will fervently oppose a brige at north point. Total waste of money, and it will cost a lot when you consider all aspects of environmental compliance, design, construction, maintenance, etc. It only takes less than 30 minutes to easily walk around.

My only suggestion for the new supplement (I picked one up at RP-Terrebonne a couple weeks ago) is that the plastic laminate for the cover is too damm stiff. It doesn't lie flat, or stay open, or stay closed, it just wants to be the way it is. (Or maybe this is an early edition?)

But I've been coming to Smiff for 9 years now, and thanks to this book we sent 3 new routes on our last (short) trip!

- r

Cranbo,

Thank-you for your (useful) feedback.

In the interest of keeping costs down, I initially went w/ a stapled laminated cover. I tried many different combinations of cover stock types/thicknesses, scoring (single & double), laminate thicknesses & pressing techniques over the last 1.5 months. Unfortunately, there are just too many pages inside the book for it to lie flat. So, I unveiled a new option at the Spring Thing last Sat. - a laminated cover w/ a spiral binding. I polled ~18 climbers there & all but 1 liked the spiral cover version better (the 1 was 50/50). Two things they liked about it was that it lies perfectly flat & you can open it 180 deg. so only 1 page is showing. The down side is that it costs more to produce.

So, starting w/ version 2.0, coming out in ~2 weeks, all supplements will have the spiral binding. They will also have: 1) updated route info & route placements (new updates incorporated weekly), 2) more routes and 3) include a map & route descriptions of the cave on the S. tip of the Mudpile.

The cover price will go to $10.95 (which I'm sure will get a rise out of someone on this site). $3 from the sale of each supplement will still go to the ASCA or the Access Fund.

This is still a work in progress, but I think that I am getting close to a finished product in quality, accuracy & usability.

Again, thank-you for your constructive criticism. If anybody else has any other ideas that I can use to improve the usefulness of the supplement, please let me know.

Rod

PS: FYI: http://www.safeclimbing.org/news.htm#smith_suppliment

Edited by RodJ