Adams South or North Side Access

jrace2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I was in my truck. Secondly, I called the ranger station in Trout Lake today. I asked about Road 23. She said for the most part, it is still snow covered. They said the snow level was at about 5k feet and for the last several days I believe it has been snowing / raining. At least that is what the weather people keep saying about hood....

-Marc

Thanks. I called today as well and it sounds like 5 or 6 miles of road are still snow covered. We are going regardless on Sunday as we have 3 days to get up, down, and enjoy some skiing. Details to follow.

John,

I here a nice High pressure system is coming in tonight and heading out on Monday. I watched the weather today to make sure. If you can you might want to bump up your trip to Saturday to take advantage of this system. It gets really nasty up there when a front comes through...At least it did for me... Have a good one and be safe.

-Marc

Marc,

If you get a chance to post back with a conditions report for the road that would be awesome. I've got some friends coming out from Colorado to make a team for Hood, and we were thinking about attempting Adams while were at it. Our climbing window is the 15-18th of May.

~Tucker

Edited by SnowGecko

We were up yesterday. Made it exactly 6 miles up the road, leaving 6 to TH. Snow was feet of slush during the day. It got cold enough at night to consolidate about 2 inches of crust over 18 inches of powder (not enough to hold you) so I was postholing to my knees from the TH to at least 7500 feet. Above that, it held a bit better, maybe only sinking a few inches. Obviously this was before the sun came up.

At noon on the way down, it was really soft at 9200 feet, and so sloppy below that my board wouldn't even stay afloat!

We came out Tuesday afternoon. We also parked about 6 miles out from the Cold Springs trailhead. Made it to 9350, but did not summit due to the high winds and new snow of Monday night.

From the parking point the road was completely snow covered minus a few spots early on where we needed to walk several hundred of dry road between snow patches.

Skiing was excellent from about 7400 to 5600.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I hijack - and ask when does the Adams Glacier route open up? I belive (unless you want a LONG slog) you wait for the road to open. Any word on when that will be? Wanted to hit it last year but it looked to be in kinda bad shape soon after the road opened.

any update on south side road? How much of road snow walking is there?

Took a scenic drive up that way yesterday. 8 miles of road led me to a very sizable collection of cars and trucks parked along side of the road due to snow conditions. Guess that leaves four miles of walking to the trailhead. Snow wasn't deep though, should melt out fast.

I did the SW chutes on Adams yesterday. The snow blocks the road with about 3.5 miles of walking, or about 0.5 miles from Morrison Creek Campground. If you're skiing, the direct route down the SW chutes, then down to Morrison Creek CG is excellent and highly advised over walking the road down.

Called the ranger station and road is still snow covered at about the Morrison Creek campground. Am hoping to go up on Sunday but doubt much more will be open by then.

Also, we're thinking of skinning up Mazama glacier and skiing down the chutes. I figure 2 days would be plenty of time, but any ideas on good places to camp on the east side? I've never been. Also, are crampons needed yet this time of year on the Mazama?

-burglar

The road to the South Spur trailhead is open

=================

Update for June 16, 2009

FEE SEASON FOR MT. ADAMS BEGAN ON JUNE 1, 2009. Please register and obtain a wilderness permit at the Mt. Adams R.D.

The Cascades Volcano Pass is required to climb Mt. Adams from June 1 to September 30.

Currently there is 0-5 ft of snow at the South Climb Trailhead and 1-10 ft of snow at 6200 ft (junction of South Climb and Around-the-Mountain Trails). The 80-8040 road is open to the South Climb Trailhead parking lot. For those wishing to ski or snowshoe, there is continuous snow from about 5800 ft upwards, although snow is melting quickly! Please prepare for winter-like conditions at high elevations. Currently, climbers are using both the Suksdorf Ridge route (winter route) and Crescent route (summer route). Please note the presence of cornices on Crescent Ridge west of the Crescent Glacier which can become unstable during warm weather. We have received reports of sun cupping above 9500 ft.

Be aware of weather conditions and prepare accordingly (this includes not climbing in hazardous weather!). The National Weather Service website (www.nws.noaa.gov) is a good source for weather information but note that weather can change rapidly for the worst in the mountains despite favorable forecasts. Please, Do Not Glissade with Crampons on (this is a common cause of lower leg fractures). Help is a very long time coming and cannot get to you in poor weather. Remember the first principle of Leave No Trace is to plan ahead and prepare. Make sure you come with the ten essentials for safety.

Blue bags should be disposed of in the orange human waste containers located on the 80-8040 road on the way to the South Climb Trailhead. Please do not place human waste in green garbage cans.

Road Conditions

The road to the South climb Trailhead is open to the trailhead parking lot (though snow patches remain and high clearance may be needed). Please remember to drive slowly and cautiously to the trailhead; this road is very narrow, curvy and has a lot of traffic.

Road 23 between Randle and Trout Lake is not clear of snow at this time.

For the latest information on conditions please call the Mt. Adams Ranger Station at 509-395-3402