Glacier Peak - Frostbite Ridge?

AOC

I am an (upstate) New Yorker planning a climb of Glacier Peak in early August. I'm comfortable on steep snow and ice, having climbed extensively in New Hampshire, California and, less frequently, in the Cascades. Because I will be soloing, I'm looking to avoid setting foot on even largely uncrevassed glaciers to the extent reasonably possible. From the Beckey guide, it looks like the Frostbite Ridge route might involve minimal glacier travel at this time of year. Is this right? Any information on the route, or other suggestions for the peak would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AOC,

There are a few cracks between Kennedy Pk. and Rabbit Ears and a very steep slope to the summit.It will probably be safer and faster to descend a standard route, though my two attempts were accompanied by a thunder storm and a snow shower.Kennedy Pk is fast and fun from your camp 1 good luck

Have Fun~

I climbed Glacier Peak via Frostbite Ridge about 2 weeks ago, on a rope team the entire time. There weren't a whole lot of visable crevasses, but there were some and there's no telling when they might decide to open up more.(i.e. we practiced crevasse rescue on Kennedy Glacier, right by there.) Due to the low snow pack, Frostbite Ridge had ALOT of scree and talus, kind of a pain. The view at the top was spectacular, though.

I have no idea on currect conditions, but I did this last year. Fantastic route, very long though. If you do it, give yourself 3 days - your body will thank you. Watch out for varmits! My friend had his hat torn to shreds by a marmot - nothing else was touched. It was probably revenge for him taking a dump right in front of the critter's home/hole in the ground.

As of 2 weeks ago the route was almost entirely uncrevassed. The only crevasse wprth mentioning was on the upper Kennedy glacier on your way to the saddle below the rabbit ears. You can completely avoid any and all crevasses in this area by staying high towards the crest of the ridge. The steep sections were fairly mellow with two tools both going up and coming down as long as you are comfortable on 60-65 degree ice. This is one of the more scenic climbs I have done in the Cascades. The meadows and views on the lower ridge are spectacular and the upper ridge is very enjoyable with the execption of the pumice slope below the rabbit ears. The pumice slope is not manadatory. You can climb 55 degree ice to left of it for a more technical and less ugly option. You can take 3 days to do it but it can go in a whole lot less than that depending on how you like to climb. Super fun outing.