Granite mountain conditions?

mankato

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was up there last weekend. Didn't have snowshoes and was post holing up to my hips in some places. The avy gully had slid relatively recently (fresh debris) but it didn't stop some brave (foolish?) folks from walking straight up the bottom of the gully. I stayed out of it so can't attest to its solidity. Once you got up above the treeline things got a little more solid.

We went, all thirteen of us made summit. Went straight up avalanche gully to summit instead of taking regular summer route. I was going to post a trip report with pictures but I am tech stupid, I can barely use computer.

I would say go as soon as possible, snow is very soft and melting fast. Many times we were postholing up to our waists. Took crampons and snowshoes. Snowshoes were helpful at times. Didn't use crampons at all, don't bother unless you are climbing at night and snow is hard.

Good thing is that we were able to glissade from the summit pretty much all the way back to the main trail. Got totally soaked but it was a lot of fun. Bring a pair of shell pants for the glissade, and make sure all your gear is firmly attached to your pack, or you might lose it on the way down!