Smith Rock Spring Thing- May 9th

elaine

Saturday May 9th. I think this is the 17th or 18th year in a row.

The fun starts at 8 am and will be wrapped by by 3:00 or so. Free dinner ( generally a burrito feed), slideshow, silent and oral auction, raffle prizes, gear vendors, slacklines, beer, kids, dogs, and lots of good friends! Volunteers get free parking for the day.

There are always several projects that need to be done. You can work really hard hauling rocks around for retaining walls, or something a little easier, like picking up trash along the river. There is something for everyone to do. Even the little kids.

You can always get more information at www.smithrocks.com

Silent and oral auction money raised goes to the Smith Rocks Climbers Coalition ( a non profit) and it will buy supplies for the clean up in 2010.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

165 volunteers made it down there. Projects included trail improvements in many areas. Rocks were hauled, dirt was shoveled, fences and retaining walls were built around Wherever I May Roam, Super Slab, Gullies, approach trail from the parking lot, Rope-de-Dope trail area, trail between the Peanut and Cinnamon Slab, garbage pick up, mulching and removing dead junipers. Some work was done at the Grasslands / Skull Hollow, too. Lots of folks worked hard for several hours. Thanks to Ian Caldwell and the rest of the Smith Rock Group for all of their work with this annual event. If you missed it, it's generally the 1st or 2nd Saturday in May. Go to smithrocks.com for more info.

I'll post the following in another new thread, but there are Prairie Falcons up at the top of the Picnic Lunch Wall area. You can climb up to 50 meters ( 1st pitch ) on the Picnic Lunch wall until mid July or August 1st ( I'm not certain of the date). The upper pitches of Teddy Bear's Picnic and many of the Aid routes are closed at this time.