New Climber. Is AUG enough prep time for Rainier?

SeanMC

I am new to Seattle and looking to climb Rainier. I am pretty athletic and completed a cross country bicycle ride 2 years ago but havnt really climbed before. I guess I am looking for advice on training, gear, and anything else i should know.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sean,

If you are psyched about getting out and learning the basics of mountaineering, then yes, planning your climb in August will give you plenty of time to get prepared.

Read up and find some friends to learn with and practice skills with. Make an effort to get out every weekend from May through August and climb other glaciated peaks in the North Cascades.

The only possible downside to this approach is that after having spent all summer mountaineering in the North Cascades, Rainier may seem a bit anticlimactic :)

If you are not serious about learning how to climb and just want to tag the summit (thats all a lot of people want to do and there is nothing really wrong with that - be honest with yourself) then definitely take danielpatricksmith's advice and go with a guide service.

Right on. I guess I would like to just tag the summit but wouldnt mind going and doing some training runs before that. Dont know if I can make it out every single weekend but I guess I am also looking to meet some people too. Thanks for the advice.