Who made us the worlds policeman?

billcoe

I'm fine when we use the full power of our countries military might to attack, punish, save and release a kidnapped vessel AS LONG AS ITS A US FLAGGED VESSEL!

WTF is up with letting ship owners flag their ships in Liberia to avoid the more expensive US laws and maritime requirements and then not expect to get a bill from the US Navy when we spend millions of dollars and risk US lives to help them get out of paying a ransom to pirates? Screw them. Let them pay the ransom and let us teach the pirates that attacking a US flagged vessel is not part of the play book for survival or profit.

Why the hell are we running all around the globe being the worlds policeman? This patrolling the horn to protect the worlds shipping is damned expensive and gets us exactly what?

Stupid.[/RANT]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, if we let those pesky pirates disrupt shipping, it could effect our GNP. Somewhere in there is a balance.

I suspect that in the long run, it would be cheaper to find a way to engage the people of the countries these pirates hale from in some productive endeavor that gets us all a better shake. Not because we are responsible for them but because it would be cheaper. It's like trying to alleviate a mosquitoe problem by swatting them with your hands. You can neither rationally pretend they are not there nor can you adequately diminish their numbers with a limited approach.

On the other hand, if we let those pesky pirates disrupt shipping, it could effect our GNP. Somewhere in there is a balance.

I suspect that in the long run, it would be cheaper to find a way to engage the people of the countries these pirates hale from in some productive endeavor that gets us all a better shake. Not because we are responsible for them but because it would be cheaper. It's like trying to alleviate a mosquitoe problem by swatting them with your hands. You can neither rationally pretend they are not there nor can you adequately diminish their numbers with a limited approach.

I know! We should invade Somalia!

i think we volunteered?

i think the U.N. sucks ass

funny - b/c we basically created it :) that and the league of nations after ww1 (but then folks such as yourself talked the senate into refusing to join it, a large contributing factor to ww2, and thus the reason for our actually joining the un)

for an organization that rarely manages to do anything other than talk, i find it wierd how hated the un is by a large # of amerikkkans who seem to think it's taken over the earth and made the baby jesus cry :P