Glacier Sunblock

eatsleepclimb

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what Hugh said... the best sunscreen is a tan. For actual sunscreen, don't bother with SPF 50 - once you get past SPF 15 the differences are negligable in the real world. Get some SPF 15 and re-apply every hour or two between 10AM and 4PM. It's not complicated.

Don't listen to the morons who scream about skin cancer - the benefits of Vitamin D far outweigh the costs of UV radiation. Check out Australia, which has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, but the lowest rate of cancer, overall.

My method:

- spf 15+ (30+ on SUNNY snow)

- tolerable smell (#1 criteria)

- non-oily (I get the stuff that's wax based, and it doesnt make my skin feel like a ball of uncooked hamburger)

- reapplied vigorously (think scrubbing face) to face, ears, chin, and entire nose area hourly.

Otherwise, I go with what someone else has got or what's cheap.

Don't listen to the morons who scream about skin cancer - the benefits of Vitamin D far outweigh the costs of UV radiation. Check out Australia, which has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, but the lowest rate of cancer, overall.

Many of those morons are Doctors and statisticians. Unlike PLC, who is just a moron. Until you hear it from a source with higher medical bonfides than Mr PLC, just consider this idea suspect

Your referenced documents point out that levels of sunlight needed for Vitamin D production are well below sunburn-producing amounts. Any additional light exposure significantly increases the odds for melanoma. While the articles are of interest to many readers, one might also argue their relevance to the context of the original poster above as questionable. Reflecting light rays on snow and ice surfaces significantly elevate the incident light intensity far in excess of anything that might remotely be considered healthy, thereby requiring the thinking climber to employ whatever means possible to avoid the incipient cellular breakdown of overexposed epidermal tissue. I recommend Bullfrog. Good shit.

Actually, I am a moron statistician.

Your information is interesting, but until I see a better source for medical information than a moron statistician linking to web sited, I'll stay with the status quo. No wait, it's all a big conspiracy isn't it? The sunscreen companies are in cahoots with the makers of anti-cancer drugs and the medical profession as a whole.

As was pointed out, the levels of D are probably way below what one receives on snow or water, and areas such as the nose or hands are at risk for skin cancer. that is why the medical profession makes use of statisticians who are not morons

Edited by Roy Snyder