"disabled" Climbing Idea's

mountainhesh

Hey fellow climbers, long time since I checked in ~

Long story short - 3 years ago went out to Maine for a wedding and week of climbing, dove in the pool, broke my neck and paralyzed myself. I've been training and working hard to get my function back ever since. I started with just my biceps, shoulders and a breathing machine and today I can take a few steps with the walker and have use of the majority of my muscles.

But oh well life goes on and honestly I'm doing pretty good. The one thing I have never stopped thinking about and being inspired by is the mountains. I've never given up hope that I'd one day be strong enough to reach the tops again. Until the day comes when I'm functionally walking again, I happened across the next best thing and hugely inspired by this man

Longer version. Dream is becoming reality and I have one on order and hosting a fundraiser to pay the $6000+ price tag.

Part of the fund raiser will be the culmination of a summit that everyone involved, friends and family can share the success in. I'm hoping to get some ideas from any of you on a good contender for a peak.

The bike is pretty rugged and can handle terrain, but the smoother and wider the path, the better to ensure success. I currently have no idea what I'll even be capable of so but hopefully something moderately strenuous. I'm dying to gaze out at the Pickets/North Cascades again and would like to base the climb out of Winthrop/Eastern WA to error on the chance of dry good weather. I'll be doing my own homework, but but I'd appreciate any ideas, ideally a summit where people could hang out and camp on.

Huge thank you in advance for your time and thoughts...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

With a SCI, you either sit around and reminisce or work three times as hard to get out there again. I pick the latter. Pretty stoked to finally get this hand powered cycle. Geared with a push-button activated micro drive, it inches up the steepest of terrain. Three years later, I'm looking to be on the mountain tops again.....

one_off.jpg

my climbing blog.....

Edited by mountainhesh

How about some sort of personal flying machine? They make some

small neat flying contraptions, a lot of risk and fun, but

you don't have to slog your way up. Just soar over the tops

and valleys.

Of course I think this more dangerous than most normal climbing,

but you can do it.

Dan

Hesh,

I can put you in touch with Pete Rieke, the inventor and pilot of this thing:

Snowpod.jpgSnowpod2.jpg

He used his snowpod to climb Mt. Hood in '98, Rainier in 2000, and he led Mark Wellman, Muffy Davis, and Keegan Reilly up Shasta in 2001 or 2002. Pete was my former regular climbing partner, before he broke his back in a 1994 100-footer at Index. He also makes and rides road and trail bikes for the paraplegic crowd. His latest gig is designing/building an "all-terrain" (except snow/glaciers) wheelchair. PM me if you're interested in talking with him. And best of luck to you on your road to recovery!

And now for a dose of shameless self-promotion... Crank Rainier 2000 summit shot

Crank_Rainier_2K_-_summit.jpg

Yours truly on the right, in the Garanimals suit...

I would say you'd be able to follow big wall routes (i've seen a number of "disabled" climber documented who jug the big rocks. that would get you out there!

i would think that just going on an extended hike with that thing in the North Cascades would be awesome (over passes, etc).

What sort of range do you think you have for the peak you want to do for the fundraiser? (as in miles or nights on the trip)

• 2 weeks later...

Thx all for replies so far

@shaoleung - I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it as we get it all figured out

ponderosa - know of any jeep trail summits here in WA? Love to get down to Elbert someday...

Frikadeller - I've been out on sleds post injury and they're fun for what they are. Heh, as a climber though, I tend to loathe them in the mountains but point taken

DanO - now you're talking! although one catastrophic injury has been quite enough I have to say...

ken4ord - Mark is an amazing guy and I was lucky to chance upon his book right out of the hospital. I've had the opportunity to befriend some of his comrades via another forum I moderate, both mountaineers paralyzed in outdoor accidents and can't help but be inspired by them. It's like - sooner or later your bound to get f'd up...what you do from there is up to you.

sobo - I'd love to meet the guy, actually was trying to get one of those snowbeasts for a while. He's an underground legend in the SCI ranks, very cool that you were on that trip.

Jake - You nailed it regarding just getting out there on the trails. After some warm-up we took it straight to Pilchuck to see what we're looking at. I was pretty surprised how far we made it up that destroyed trail. Finally turned around due to, ironically enough, a blister on my thumb. Still searching for a better peak to train on, something less crowded with a better path. I'm thinking there has to be some good stuff east of the range.

It was the first time I'd really been out in 3 years and despite the hoards of flies (forgot about those), was satisfying just being back. I think I was a little over-optimistic about just running out and bagging peaks again, there's a lot of learning and conditioning to be done. I'm going out to Goat Lake next week, should be a perfect sort of trail.

Anyways, thx again and if its sparked any trail ideas please do share!

IMG_1983.JPG