Captain escaped- Navy Seals shot pirates

Skeezix

Good job to the SEALS, good job to the crew. Hopefully we will wax a few more of them and it will deter this from happening more frequently.

Once again, the real world refuses to conform to the John Wayne film that you call reality:

Somali pirates on hijack spree since weekend

By ELIZABETH A. KENNEDY, Associated Press Writer Elizabeth A. Kennedy, Associated Press Writer Tue Apr 14, 7:07 pm ET

MOMBASA, Kenya – Somali pirates were back to business as usual Tuesday, defiantly seizing four more ships with 60 hostages after U.S. sharpshooters rescued an American freighter captain. "No one can deter us," one bandit boasted. The freed skipper, Richard Phillips, will return home to the United States on Wednesday, after reuniting with his 19-man crew in the Kenyan port of Mombasa, according to the shipping company Maersk Line Ltd.

The brigands grabbed more ships and hostages to show they would not be intimidated by President Barack Obama's pledge to confront the high-seas bandits, according to a pirate based in the Somali coastal town of Harardhere.

"Our latest hijackings are meant to show that no one can deter us from protecting our waters from the enemy because we believe in dying for our land," Omar Dahir Idle told The Associated Press by telephone. "Our guns do not fire water. I am sure we will avenge."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now what I don't understand is the pirates have said they would now kill any US and French crew, instead of taking them hostage. Wasn't hostages the primary reason for us not sending in forces and kicking ass?

Unless the pirates figure out how to sabotage the goods carried by ships, lay mines, or otherwise cause mayhem, keeping hostages alive is in their best interest for their own safety and for receiving ransom.

Unless the pirates figure out how to sabotage the goods carried by ships, lay mines, or otherwise cause mayhem, keeping hostages alive is in their best interest for their own safety and for receiving ransom.

malayasian pirates seem to make a nice living despite invariably murdering everyone on board the boats they sieze :)

ps, NPR is just another tool of the US government.

In many ways, there is truth to this assertion. Certainly, NPR presents as "anti-establishment" or something like that when they present a package that is "alternative" to the traditional news media and often includes commentary critical of the government but on balance the overall NPR narrative clearly supports US governmental policy while proving that we are an "open" society which "allows" dissent.

Take any of the major issues, whether it is the TARP program, the various war efforts, tax policy, or healthcare. We hear NPR commentators spew spirited critique from the left and the right but the bottom line is that the American way is right and our President has done right. Republicans complain that NPR is liberal media but, when they stole elections and invaded Iraq and outed Valerie Plame and ran up the deficit and trashed environmental regulation and allowed the banks to become "too big to fail" while deregulating them, NPR never really made it clear when our government was lying to us even though, some times at least, the lies were exposed but only in a way that listeners could easily walk away from the story dismissing the accusation of lying as wacko conspiracy theories of the left.

Just as they didn't really present the deceptions of Bush or for that mater Clinton, I don't think they'll take on Obama, either. and while I admire lots of what he stands for I am afraid he's not all that different from the alternative; he'll use NPR just as his predecessors have and show that "this is America" and we tolerate dissent while he props up big money and does little or real benefit for the rest of us.

In many ways, there is truth to this assertion. Certainly, NPR presents as "anti-establishment" or something like that when they present a package that is "alternative" to the traditional news media and often includes commentary critical of the government but on balance the overall NPR narrative clearly supports US governmental policy while proving that we are an "open" society which "allows" dissent.

Take any of the major issues, whether it is the TARP program, the various war efforts, tax policy, or healthcare. We hear NPR commentators spew spirited critique from the left and the right but the bottom line is that the American way is right and our President has done right. Republicans complain that NPR is liberal media but, when they stole elections and invaded Iraq and outed Valerie Plame and ran up the deficit and trashed environmental regulation and allowed the banks to become "too big to fail" while deregulating them, NPR never really made it clear when our government was lying to us even though, some times at least, the lies were exposed but only in a way that listeners could easily walk away from the story dismissing the accusation of lying as wacko conspiracy theories of the left.

Bingo

NPR is the Prophet and Obama is the baby Jesus.

Or

Anyone who wants the job should be disqualified but at this point we have been sold down the river so far that corporate interests have a stranglehold on our government. This renders the person in office powerless to protect the rights of the individual. Bend over.

I can't decide.

Edited by Bug

I made too much money last year but used it all to pay off debt. At least the dirt is soft where I filled in that hole, so it won't be too hard to dig myself back in a little bit.

April really is the cruelest month, at least for the self-employed in a somewhat down economy:

• Federal income tax
  • First Quarter estimated tax payment
  • 1st half Property Taxes
  • Quarterly Sales Tax
  • Quarterly State Unemployment
  • Quarterly State L&I insurance
  • 1st Quarter Federal Unemployment

I suppose I could play pirate and go make a withdrawl from the 7-11, but I'm sort of incarceration averse.

May though, I'm going to the Valley, so it all evens out.