Event horizons and global responsibility

Bug

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen several of these TED videos of scientists who always begin with mention of Darwin who is representative of biological evolution. The theme of technology is then developed with its transcendance of natural biological evolution towards directed evolution (engineering) of the organic and inorganic realms.

Martin Rees' talk was particularly unusual in that there were some identifications with occult or alchemical symbols, one being the ouroboros. Also, in his diagram of same, he mentions the interconnection between the micro and macro worlds, thus echoing the saying from The Emerald Tablet: "As above, so below."

Rees also points out the significance of Man, ideally positioned between the micro and the macro worlds, which recalls Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, a figure of a man prone with arms outstretched inscribing a circle but also bounded by a square.

[video:youtube]t-4s8rfSxQg

I particularlry liked his noting that it has taken us 4 billion years to evolve to this point. And given that stars like ours tend to last for another 6 billion years, we will have time to evolve some more. What we evolve into will be as different from us as we are from single cell organisms.

I particularlry liked his noting that it has taken us 4 billion years to evolve to this point. And given that stars like ours tend to last for another 6 billion years, we will have time to evolve some more. What we evolve into will be as different from us as we are from single cell organisms.

keithrichards.jpg

I figured you would have a rational reason for espousing the eternal stagnation of our current heightened state. Did I miss someting in your post?

But the central point was the openess of where we are going based on what we have learned.

And yes, we are all stogie puffing douchebags like Richard, the debonair kadaver.

Hope you got some climbing in this weekend.

Edited by Bug

But the central point was the openess of where we are going based on what we have learned.

OK.

Whatever that means, I guess.

As for humans having time to evolve (by any number of mechanisms), if that's groundbreaking to you, you definitely need to get out more.

We don't have 6 billions years, BTW. We have between 250 million and a billion, max. The sun's getting hotter. Earth will be waterless (unless we move it outward, which is actually possible) long before it becomes a bright spark in a groovy looking planetary nebula.

Personally, I think humans will develop the ability to shapeshift into forms that more represent their true natures using nano and other technologies. Who knows? When you call someone a douchebag a million years from now, the description may well be nothing more than a simple observation.

Keith Richards will, of course, still be Keith Richards.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

As for humans having time to evolve (by any number of mechanisms), if that's groundbreaking to you, you definitely need to get out more.

Dude.

Hold on to the wheel.

Either humans can be more than we are now or we can't.

Pick a side and stay there.

this thread makes me want to shit

No.

That's your head under the strain of thinking.

Just pull it out and you'll be fine.

You bought a Brief History of Time and thought you were a quantum physicist, didn't you?

No. I just didn't close my mind after 8th grade science.

You stopped taking science courses after 8th grade? Where the hell did you go to school?

No, no, no.

I was assuming that Stinky was still in eight grade.

No.

That's your head under the strain of thinking.

Just pull it out and you'll be fine.

You bought a Brief History of Time and thought you were a quantum physicist, didn't you?

Being a Bug, I wonder if you'd take an example from the invertebrate world as a possibility for Martin Rees' conjecture regarding human evolution. Metamorphosis is common in the insect world. So the consideration is whether the human essense is consciousness apart from the body. The other question is whether on a larger scale (such as the phylogenic) that the transition is a natural development given the "run time" of the "program".