Icicle - Warrior Wall

shaoleung

Just did Prime Rib... I think. What a great climb. Book says 10 bolts, but what we climbed today had about 14 bolts. Book says 5.10b, but felt harder. There seems to be some development going on up there... did I get onto the wrong climb? Any Beta?

Thanks!

Edited by shaoleung

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime rib is usually done as three short pitches, but a single 60m rope will take you to the top anchor (or double 60s get you back down to the deck).

The first pitch is a short vertical wierd crack system followed by an easy ramp. The second pitch is also quite short and involves thin slab and facework protected by copious bolts. The third pitch has a few fun layback and groove moves, some arete, a small roof, and a handcrack to the anchors. 10b seemed about right, with the crux around the third bolt in the middle pitch.

Fun climb, though I liked Heart of Gold better (except that terrible traversing pitch).

prime rib is old school 10b. It seems like many of the routes on warrior wall are old school and a bit harder than elsewhere in the icicle. very sweet area with lots of work going into it this last year.

did you start prime rib on the far left side of the formation? The start, like Rad states, is a straight in, sort of crummy, wide, feels slight overhanging crack. I don't think any other climb on the wall has such a start.

the second pitch, after a short corner and fat ledge rest, has a wicked short traverse to an bolt protected slabby arete.

hope that helps.

did you start prime rib on the far left side of the formation? The start, like Rad states, is a straight in, sort of crummy, wide, feels slight overhanging crack. I don't think any other climb on the wall has such a start.

That sounds like what we did. The start was just right of a steep drainage gully. The slightly overhanging fist crack to start was pretty dirty with spring melt grime. The second pitch was great 11'worth slab.

Thanks for the help!

Recently Gene and I climbed several other routes up there that were cleaned up last year.

Beta Here

Weekday Warrior and P1 of Potatoe Chip Flake are nice meaty Leavenworth 5.9 cracks. P1 of Hot Shot is steep and well protected with a cool stem to jug finish.

The Original Route looks sustained and intimidating.

Definitely worth a visit. You could spend a couple full days in the Duty Dome/Warrior Wall Area now and climb nothing but 5.9, 5.10a and 5.10b pitches.

Cool linka Berdinka. I see it lists Prime Rib as 10c.

Thanks to all y'alls for the new routes and cleaning and refitting of old routes. I'll put Original on the list - it is such a striking line and the falls look totally clean.