people throwing stuff off top of broughton's

sh47

yesterday we were at broughtons over at gandolfs grip, when stuff started flying past us and landing in the trees below...it was super freaky b/c i wasn't sure what it was at first. then i saw whole heads of cabbage whizzing by- not far from us at all. we yelled and screamed a bit and eventually it stopped- but WTF??

has anyone thought of or tried to put up signs on the trail saying 'climbers below, use caution' OR 'don't throw cabbage off this cliff please, there might be climbers below' seriously a sign for the random yahoos or drunk teenagers so that they might think twice before chucking stuff of a cliff.

i am not sure what would happen to someone who got hit with a head of cabbage from 70 feet up, but i am glad i didn't have to find out. it sucked and was scary

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was climbing at the Columns in Eugene last summer and an empty keg came flying off the top of the wall. Luckily there were very few people there; but it almost hit a dog. A little while later some methed out teenagers came down the hill in a rusted out truck. They didn't stop because we were still pretty angry at them.

i've had the same thing happen before - with cabbage a few weeks ago, or with general trash other times. irate yelling seemed to stop the deluge each time.

a sign's not a bad idea, i guess, but i'm not sure if it would really be a deterrent to the type of folks who want to throw stuff off.

it's probably worth bringing up w/ the park service at the access fund's adopt-a-crag event that usually happens early each summer.

the north face & hanging gardens wall seems to be most susceptible. i've never noticed anything when further down the trail.

has anyone thought of or tried to put up signs on the trail saying 'climbers below, use caution' OR 'don't throw cabbage off this cliff please, there might be climbers below' seriously a sign for the random yahoos or drunk teenagers so that they might think twice before chucking stuff of a cliff.

you labor under the illusion that drunken teenagers, seeing such a sign, would throw LESS off the edge :)

I was on Gandalfs grip yesterday evening and topped out to a couple prime heads of cabbage. We did not experience any whizzing by our head though. I am not sure how regularly this happens, but once is enough. Those cabbage are dense and could definitely cause some harm. Not to mention the obvious waste of perfectly good cabbage.

The last two times I have been to Broughton's, there have been a few groups of stoney teenagers running around. The previous time I witnessed a group toss some shit off right on top some fellow climbers. It should seem obvious to not throw shit off the cliff's there but I think a sign might be necessary for those who just don't get it.

Cabbage???? Is that slang for "money"? Sign me up!!!

People like to throw stuff off anything high....pennies off the Empire State Building....and then there was that guy who trundled a rock off the Diamond???? and hit a climber and killed him?

A few years ago, I was soloing Saber on Castle Rock in Leavenworth and got off route near the top on some small, scary and exposed holds, and then rocks came whizzing by my head...big rocks...scared the daylights out of me...they were hitting the trees below and breaking branches. Worse yet, there were a couple of novice climbers below trying their first leads. I gained my composure and went to the top where some dumb-donkey dude was actually kicking rocks loose on the summit for the purpose of tossing them. I told him that he's probably killing people down below and then ran down to see how the new folks were handling it. They were both in a dihedral, hunkering down, and terrified for their lives. People like to throw things off anything high....they act first and think later....it's very primal.

Cabbage_patch_resized.jpg

Not slang for money Don, real cabbages like you eat. This is the field on top last year. Kyle has a great story of Broughtons which involves some young idiots who tossed some beer bottles off, nearly hitting them. The guy he was with ran up there (Silvermans following) and demanded 'who threw the bottle"? after the innocent kids pointed at the guilty one, he slammed him down on the ground and gave the angry lecture. Think he might have perp marched him down to clean it up too. but my memory is weak on that part.

I was climbing up there last summer and someone was pissing off the top. Just about hit some climbers to our left. They stopped after I screamed at them.... or maybe they were just done.

Would it be so bad if cabbages were throwing heads of people off the cliffs?

cabbage-head-vs-park.jpg

Maybe it's this guy!!!

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Cabbage hit right by my feet, and it probably would have really hurt or even killed if it hit the right spot. I wanted to run up to the top and strangle whoever threw it...

I would like to believe that a sign would work, but I think signs are for law abiding citizens.

long-haired freaky people need not apply.

Also, bump to say that anyone who wants to see if there's something they can do to help curb cabbage tossing, dwarf tossing, or other generally unwanted tossings at broughton should come to the access fund's adopt-a-crag event on Saturday, May 2nd (10:00-3:00) & talk to the State Park folks there.

(Oh, and there'll be a BBQ by climb max and free schwag)