Climbers' Spring Picnic 2009

mattp

Once again, it's time to fire up the grills and look at slides in Woodland Park, near Greenlake, in Seattle. Come to meet other climbers and celebrate the coming season at Picnic Shelter #6, 6:00 pm 'till closing, Thursday April 30, 2009.

Last year we had a gear swap. In the past, slack lining and other fun and games. Families are welcome.

Ideas?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1970bolosm.jpg

Photo posted by Off White, January 30, 2003.

Any ideas for "special events" at this year's picnic? Should we have a gear swap again? Any slack liners out there? Climbing clowns or contortionists? Who might have access to the diggy projector equipment?

13123MAST_1_.jpg

First ascent of Cosmic Trigger at Vantage, posted by Sexual Chocolate, May 30, 2006

Another item I may need help with is lighting. The picnic shelter is a lot more inviting after dark if it is lit. Anybody got some halogen clamp lamps we can point at the ceiling?

Hey, is anyone from the UW coming to the picnic? Matt is still looking for a projector, and in the past we have had Gary Y borrow a projector from there. Since he has joined the civilian world that is no longer possible.

If you can, let matt or I know. Thanks!

Yes, I'm still looking for projection equipment. I have some good slideshowers lined up, but we could use more entertainment. In light of current events at Index, it'd be appropriate to look at slides of Index Town Wall and get stoked over our dreams of purchasing it for climbers, but anything that is generally in the spirit of "lets get excited about climbing" is pretty much in order.

And lets talk about this gear swap. Who has good stuff for sale?

Hey all: I just want to let you know that it is looking like a good year at the Climber's Picnic. It is not supposed to be raining sideways on Thursday, and we've got some good slideshow presenters lined up: among others, RockclimberGirl, Steph Abegg, and Wayne Wallace. We'll have a mix of rock climbing and mountain climbing pictures to look at, and I hope we'll have a pretty good gear swap as well.

If somebody is gearing up for Antartica, I have a -40 western mountaineering bag for sale.

Yeah, okay, so....... many people will miss the unmarked, tiny, crazy Exit... so take the next Exit just 200 feet further, stay Right, then Right again, southbound along Greenlake, pass 2 parking lots on your right, then turn Right on a paved road, toward the running track and tennis courts, stay right proceeding uphill. Now turn Right and park.

Matt's directions work for local locals. Non natives and n00bs follow the easier directions.

Idea guy is right: the turn off Aurora is poorly marked. If you miss it, just take every possible right turn and you will eventually end up where you should.

Woodland6-2_thumb.jpg

I have an old school projector and am picking up a rental diggy projector tomorrow but could use a laptop computer that is better than the TWO that I have lined up but which the owners say are sub-standard. Doesn't anybody have a kick ass laptop?

And who is bringing the avocado side dish?

If anybody has a broken cam or other broken hardware you don't need please bring it, I'm looking for something for an art project. I'll trade you a beer (or a broken #4 camalot which is too big for my needs). :-) I'll have the cc.com shirt on with my name on it (or look for the red beard and glasses).

I'll be doing some shopping this afternoon and plan to show up at 5:00 or may be a little after. If somebody wants to help set up, that'd be great.

I still have not located a laptop computer that the owners says is "qualified" - whatever that means. I can bring a desktop machine from my office but surely one of you folks has something better.

I'll be looking for a grillmaster. I'll have the charcoal and tools.

Bring gear to swap. I've got a bunch of old rock gear and some vintage ice screws and a super dooper sleeping bag.

I'll toss my old slide projector in the car in case somebody wants to show hardman shots of yore.