avy thoughts

billclimbs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Probably won't" means slightly less than 50% chance of death.

A week ago the report was at considerable above 6k and I saw a ton of natural slides that had triggered in the last 24 hr. The lower 1/2 of the Old Chute and the traverse from the Hogsback, both had avalanched, along with the entire slope of the West Crater Rim. The slides looked to be wind-deposited snow and were all on S or E slopes.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not going up there for a reason, but I also have the flu. :sick:

We were considering a climb up Reid Headwall Sat night, but with those avalanche reports I think we're seriously reconsidering.....the traverse over the top of west crater rim has me a little concerned......

you can climb the reid and top out further left near the queens chair, so don't have to mess w/ the w crater rim - there's plenty of opportunity to get slid going down the back of illuminiation and back up the reid though of course

We were considering a climb up Reid Headwall Sat night, but with those avalanche reports I think we're seriously reconsidering.....the traverse over the top of west crater rim has me a little concerned......

you can climb the reid and top out further left near the queens chair, so don't have to mess w/ the w crater rim - there's plenty of opportunity to get slid going down the back of illuminiation and back up the reid though of course

Or on the SS while descending in the sun...

Mind is made up...will find some dry rock to play on but am really looking forward to some consoladation. This is from nwac

OUTLOOK TO SUNDAY

Sunny and much warmer weather is expected on Sunday. This

may cause a significantly increasing avalanche danger.

Just got back from the mountain. Climbed and skied leutholds. Conditions on that side of the mountain were excellent. Saw some folks headed up the old chute and didn't see any major mishaps. East wind was keeping things cool up there. I was amazed at how warm govy was.

John, because there were half a million Mazamas or because of the 2 folks who died?

ps, the triple bag de jour is ski till the snow warms, climb AT PETE'S for 2-4 hours, then hike to the top of Beacon and back fast so that your thighs are burning:-) Horsethief is reserved for when it's cold or wet up high.

Edited by billcoe

I did a quick lap on just the palmer this morning before heading to horsethief (bad day out there). Bumped into a few headed up... it was very warm out.

Did anyone get a good look or better a pic of I rock?

John - While we skied, hubby and Chaos hiked up a ways. Not sure how far they went, but he took a bunch of pics and did talk to folks coming down. If I find something that might be useful for you (info or pic), I'll send your way.

news is reporting an avy in white river canyon. S&R got called out because some observers saw skiers digging for their buried gear...but no skiers caught.

[font:Arial]NWAC Avi Forecast from Friday:[/font]

[font:Courier New]* MT HOOD AREA-

…AVALANCHE WARNING FRIDAY…

Friday: High avalanche danger above 5000 feet and considerable below.

Friday night: Avalanche danger temporarily decreasing.

Saturday: High avalanche danger above 6000 feet and considerable below.

Saturday night: Avalanche danger temporarily decreasing.[/font]

[font:Arial]Skiing a south-facing slope on a warm day with a 'HIGH' avi danger forecast :tdown: Those guys are lucky to have gotten off with just a 'warning'[/font]