Tieton Climbing - Bird Closures

specialed

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bend, 2 miles upriver from RC, is always open, as is Moon Rocks, even further upriver. If that's not hard enough, go even further upriver to the "Rimrock Store" just before the tunnel, and turn north on the forest road that goes past Jubilee YMCA camp (can't remember the #). Keep heading up into the Wildcat Creek drainage. Lots of steep (read: vertical) cloumnar basalt bolted and crack exams that end at the entablature. I think they're in the hard 10, 11, and low 12 range. Too tough for me, they are. No word yet from the OCGS on lifting of the closure.

The Bend actually is closed for a period of time each winter. I'm not sure of the current status but I was there in late-February and the Tieton nature trail was completely closed east of the suspension bridge. If memory serves me correctly, last year it was open by this time. Check with F+W to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I called wildlife area (509-653-2390) and said the Royal Columns area (across from the old wooden Bridge) is OPEN. I didn't trust their answer last week so I called back again yesterday and played dumb and got the same answer. It is open. I don't know about he other areas.

FYI: The Everett Intermediate Climbing class (mountaineers) will be at royal columns area this weekend. About 10-15 people. We will mostly be on climbs below 5.6 so it shouldn't interfere with any climbers from this board. It sounds like you can climb 5.7 and above after all the chest pounding I have read grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by chris_w:
. It sounds like you can climb 5.7 and above after all the chest pounding I have read
grin.gif" border="0

he can barley climb 5.7+, he is a total wanker...why do oyu think he asks the same questions twice....sheesh...

another QUESTion if it is the imtermediate class, why are they mostly on climb below 5.6???? just wondering....

quote:

Originally posted by chris_w:
<snip> FYI: The Everett Intermediate Climbing class (mountaineers) will be at royal columns area this weekend. About 10-15 people. We will mostly be on climbs below 5.6 so it shouldn't interfere with any climbers from this board. It sounds like you can climb 5.7 and above after all the chest pounding I have read
grin.gif" border="0

Now you've done it! Gone and spilled a whole bucket of chum in the water... shocked.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
another QUESTion if it is the imtermediate class, why are they mostly on climb below 5.6???? just wondering....

The basic mountaineering class, well, it covers basic mountaineering skills. The intermediate class goes into Leading and placing pro. For some students, this will be the first time on the sharp end of the rope. I don't want to send a student up a 5.8, whatch him shit his pants, fall, break something and then read about the accident on CC.com all next week [laf]

I'd rather have them lead low grades and practice placing bomber gear. It will be a while before they can look at a crack and say "that's a number 4 nut". I'd hate to see them try 15 different pieces at the crux of a hard route.

Chris