Rope Recycling?

scheissami

Hey,

Do you guys know of a green way to get rid of a rope? It's a 60m Beal 10.2mm that's had 4 years of hard use and needs to be retired. If anybody wants it for whatever reason, let me know. Otherwise, I was hoping there might be an option besides pitching it...

Cheers

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regularly get $30 for mine on craigslist, with a disclaimer that it's shot and shouldn't be used for climbing. Boaters love 'em.

Ditto. I take mine down to the local sporting good consignment shop; they send me a cheque in the mail.

• 1 month later...

I'll take it. I've turned a couple into doormats lately. They hold up great(have had one on the front porch for about 2 years now? Only problem is that I haven't quite figured out how to tighten them down and keep them square. They also end up a little more trapezoidal than I want :anger:

We've actually got a climbing rope leash that somebody gave us :P Our is only a short one (probably 2m of total rope). I bet you could sell them to one of the local smaller pet stores like Mud Bay?

I give mine to a farmer/rancher type who has all kinds of uses for rope...he is very happy to take it. It gets many more years of use and clears space in my gear closet. I'm sure there are other people who could use rope that doesn't need to be up to climbing specs.

I use my old climbing ropes for boating; for lashing loads on my truck; for safety lines on roofing jobs and in tree-stands when hunting; for tow ropes for my cars; to suspend swings for my kids; for dog-leashes; to construct exercise apparati; as clotheslines; to direct the descent path of trees when felling; to suspend game animals for field-dressing; ...you get the picture...

My stepfather claims all my old ropes for his sailboat..... those guys go through rope faster than most climbers.

I always keep a few beater ropes around, they are great to donate to the trails for river crossings and the like.

I guess "littering" 12 lbs of rope in the wilderness really isnt "green"..... but at best could save a life, and in the least prevent a roaring river from ruining someones day.

I've been wanting to make a hammock from a couple retired ropes of mine, but any plans I find online assume a much smaller diameter rope. I'm about to just make something up anyway. Anyone have any resources on this?