Mt Hood South Side noob.

Wesley Laws

I'm looking at climbing Mt. Hood South Side in mid may with two friends of mine. I'm fairly new at climbing as I only have Mt Rainier (July 08) under my belt. I would like to know what routes are recommended for first timers. Also we are looking to camp above the lifts so if possible any recommendations for that as well. Thanks for your help..

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hogsback is the standard route on the south side. If it is a clear day, there will be a lot of climbers going up. I think camping is allowed anywhere above the lifts, and there is a flat area up there, not sure if there is a name for it. But you really don't need to camp on that route, unless for some reason you really want to camp. The route can be done in day. There is good info on Hood on summitpost.org.

Bring a helmet for sure. There is much ice and rockfall in the pearly gates area. It saved my noggin. You might also want to bring a second ice tool, as there is a short nearly vertical step in that area of mixed rock and ice.

Keep a close eye on the weather, and if you camp above the lifts on the moraine, look for any rocks that will help block the wind. Shortly after we bailed off there in the middle of June last year, the wind hit 91 mph, the temps dropped to 20, it snowed about 2 feet (not that any of it probably stuck), and a dayhiker died on Rainier. The day before it was sunny and in the 40's, and people were heading up in shorts.