Rock hard?

Bug

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘Do not settle for the limitations of your experience. Try to break it and move to the next level. If you do that, you will know there are many levels of reality outside and within yourself. Don’t settle for who you are right now.”

Taken one way, the attitude expressed by the guru is part of what led us to the mess we're currently in, for instance, this attitude as a driver for someone experiencing dissatisfaction with his standing in life so that the idea of living beyond his means becomes dominant. When this happens, self-actualization becomes corrupted as hedonism or to put it another way, that higher ‘chakra’ goal becomes degraded to a lower ‘chakra’ endeavor.

This is not to cast morality on the entire work. So the desired goal becomes paramount in perhaps a Nietzschean way, i.e., the methodology can be discarded when the end is achieved. The Vajrayana Buddhists speak of this as using a wedge to discard a wedge. The idea is not to get stuck in the lower ‘chakra’ which psychologically speaking means do not stay rooted like a tree to a lower state of being.

On the other hand, the attitude is the beginning of change in situations such as slavery which could not have been overcome without the underlying need to break out.

I believe that even though genetics primarily determines an individual’s potential and environment conditions how much of that potential is developed, sociocultural conditioning is key to being aware of limitations in the first place. Is this not what Rousseau meant in reference to society: "Man was born free; and everywhere is in chains"?

So I believe that the revolution is at first personal but then ripples outwards toward society at which point it meets resistance or assimilation.

Personally, I believe that the problems comprising the human condition cannot be entirely overcome within the larger society without us becoming something more than human or other than human. Our rearrangements of society will shuffle the problems around but not solve them. The establishment of a counterculture is again veiling the reality. We will then have to follow a path of transhumanism.

Personally, I believe that the problems comprising the human condition cannot be entirely overcome within the larger society without us becoming something more than human or other than human. Our rearrangements of society will shuffle the problems around but not solve them. The establishment of a counterculture is again veiling the reality. We will then have to follow a path of transhumanism.

ie, we're all screwed, because human is what we are and will remain. That's one limitation that, by definition, we'll never exceed. Looking for mythical solutions outside of what we are is just another search for El Dorado.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Very rich layers on a vanilla practice imo.

Exceptionally well put nonetheless.

I would guess that even the hardest of personalities on this board would find similar realization on a great day of climbing. Who does not revel in the experience of a rich, full day in the Enchantments. Who amoung you would pursue negative conversations in such a state?

The Isha foundation operates on many levels including reforestation and sustainable subsistance in rural India. This is not just a bunch of monks retreating to a mountain lair. The practice enhances involvement in improving the human state. The first step is improving yourself. You do not have to acheive Yogi status. Although that is an end that might be available to you if you need it to improve your lot in life.

I spent some time with this man and saw him react to people who bowed at his feet. He did not reject their actions but took every opportunity to engage them rather than be the focus of their adoration. He is more of a quintessential grandfather than an evangalist of some kind. I have been practicing Isha Yoga for several months now. It makes a big difference in my state of mind to be sure. My daughters are happy that I do not get angry as often. Another great side effect is that I have not been sick once since I started. In years past, I have caught almost every cold the girls brought home. They are mushy little girls who demand to be kissed goodnight. I do not feel like I am being transported to a different reality. Perhaps I am resisting as we secularized westerners are programmed to do. But I do not feel I need that if the quality of my life here keeps improving at this rate.

I'm just sayin..... this is cool. And you don't have to drink the koolaid.

ie, we're all screwed, because human is what we are and will remain. That's one limitation that, by definition, we'll never exceed. Looking for mythical solutions outside of what we are is just another search for El Dorado.

Considering what is discussed is an ascent of understanding and/or awareness, perhaps it is your lack of such that allows an assumption of humans stalling at their present state instead of continuing a long evolution.

Does your local FSM cult require you to regard evolution as "mythical"?

Considering what is discussed is an ascent of understanding and/or awareness, perhaps it is your lack of such that allows an assumption of humans stalling at their present state instead of continuing a long evolution.

Does your local FSM cult require you to regard evolution as "mythical"?

Nirvana has been available to plain old human beings for thousands of years now, oh not-so-wise-one.

No Greg Bear trilogies required.

It's all right here, right now

if you look.