[TR] Mexico - El Portrerto Chico 2/8/2009

Trip: Mexico - El Portrerto Chico

Date: 2/8/2009

Trip Report:

I couldn't do a three day work trip to Monterrey without spending a day at El Portrero Chico. I'd heard a lot about this place and read a little, but the size and the charm of the place still surprised me.

El_Portrero_Chico_002c.jpg

The weather was fantastic and it was great to get out of town to a warmer, sunnier, different location.

El_Portrero_Chico_031.jpg

I had a great time in Monterrey - it's an endearing city surrounded by mountains (hence the name el rey de las montanas "king of the mountains").

El_Portrero_Chico_003c.jpg

Lots of rock and many routes - I got on some hard 10's and 11's, good for me especially recovering from a shoulder injury in the fall.

El_Portrero_Chico_006.jpg

la hormiga; if you don't see beauty in the desert, you're not looking at it right

El_Portrero_Chico_013.jpg

Paul, the rope gun from Connecticut - gracias, dude. There are a lot of climbers there in the winter, it's really chill and easy to meet up with people to climb with.

El_Portrero_Chico_021c.jpg

One day there was really just a tease. I could easily spend a week or two...like maybe next Christmas through New Years.

If you ever have a chance, I highly recommend it - super cheap once you get there, the climbing is literally a 10 minute walk from the camping or posadas, and you will not run out of good rock to climb.

Gear Notes:

shoes, helmet, harness, chalk

Approach Notes:

Es mas facil, si puedes hablar espanol...y mas mejor, con poquito cerveza.

Edited by ptownclimber

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic