Harvey North Ramp-How long usually in shape

MarkJ

It's warming up, but it keeps snowing, anyone know how long this route is usually climbable? I was up about 6 weeks ago, and it was a slog, would be better colder, but I want one more before the season ends...

Edited by MarkJ

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what you need to avoid finding it in slog conditions is a big warm break, follow by plunging temps. we've kinda been piddling around in the middle most of this winter, so i would suspect it hasn't firmed up a lot vs 6 wks ago. you could likely climb it in april if you had a clear nite and a very early start. it'll freeze tight overnite - and you just need to get up it before it thaws. a bunch of us did it overnite one time (leaving at midnite, topping at 5 am), and it was a gas! too cold on top to wait for sunrise, unfortunately...

good luck.

p.s. this is a great way to deal with lots of spring climbs, btw. climb 'em before daybreak, then laze around all day in the hot sun. VERY relaxing!

Edited by Don_Serl

I've done it in late April but it can be melting out at the lower rock step crux by then. when stinkyclimber and i did it it must have been almost May, the bears were definitely awake because we followed the tracks of a mother and cub all the way down to the logging road.

I read that trip report on your late night Ramp adventure Don. That was awesome. Good on you guys. I hate that road with so much passion (coming down all I want to see is that damn water tank) that I dont know if I could handle it at 12am, but I like the sound of a moon filled night scampering up that ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good idea, ya maybe tomorrow morning or thursday morning would be perfect.

I would go but I have some meetings tomorrow morning..but weekend may work out, I am skeptical about saturday being good but if it rains up high Fri/Sat then Sunday maybe a good day as well.

If you go post up some condiitons and if you dont I might be interested in having a wander up there on Sunday..