flying with climbing gear in carry-on

mankato

I'm flying tomorrow, and plan on taking a sport/top rope set-up in my carry-on bag. Rope, some draws and biners, belay device etc. I won't be checking a bag. My concern is that I'll run into a TSA agent who thinks my climbing gear is part of a terrorist plot. Has anyone had any problems getting climbing gear past security at airports?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flown a few times out of Seatac since 911 with a full trad rack and had no problems, although I have always put my rope in my checked bag due to space in my caryon (i.e. easier to buy a rope if it gets lost than a full trad rack)

Shapp

I just flew SouthWest Air to Vegas and carried on my rope and a bunch of draws. I also asked the counter help if I could carry on rock climbing hardware (for future reference) and they would have allowed my trad rack, except stuff like nut tools. Seemed pretty relaxed on what you can carry on.

I've flow with a full trad rack several times. The guys at PDX just laugh and tell me to have fun. In San Diego, I had to sit in the detention area while the TSA person did a chemical swab test on every single piece that had a wire... (nuts, cams, and wired hexes, but not tricams or slung hexes). You'll get all types, but I've never actually had stuff impounded or my flight status denied. I did get fined $250 for having signal flares in my CHECKED bag when flying out for a solo trip.

Carry on is the way to go- United lost my buddy's bag with a full trad rack in it, and gave him a check for $400. He figured the rack was worth about $1500.

I was stopped in Vancouver BC airport with a rope and set of draws after flying with them several legs. I was told anything that can be used as a restraint would not be allowed on the airplane. Angrily telling the security guy that I could tie someone up with my belt if I wanted to didn't help my situation. The airline was actually super helpful - they pulled my checked bag and let me add it even though I was clearly over the weight limit.

I no longer take the chance, but I can see why you'd try.

I've had a rope confiscated flying out of France.

I've also been told that harnesses can be confiscated.

I fly down to sport climb on Vegas limestone fairly frequently. I carry on rock shoes and check the rope and draws now.

I should preface this by saying that I ALWAYS get pulled out for "random" bag checks/extra scrutiny. I dunno, maybe a clean cut, white, male university student sets off lots of warning bells for the TSA.

A few years ago, I was flying with a rope and a rack in my carry on and I got pulled aside and had to show the TSA person how every piece worked and they made me remove the rope from my carry on. All of my other bags had been checked already, so they had to find me a box to put it in, and checked that. Fortunately they didn't charge me for having 3 checked bags (2 bags and a box). I asked them why, and they said I might try to rap out of the plane.

I've never had this happen in North America, but I fly around New Zealand a lot and I have gotten in trouble for my carry on being too heavy (with a rack and rope in it).

my two cents...

My gear made it OK, but not so much for me. Not sure if profanity is allowed on this board but I have a few words for the airlines. Got to airport and flight was cancelled and got jacked around all day trying to get here. But anyway, at seatac, they didn't say anything about the gear, it went right through. Had to transfer planes in SF, and had to go through security again because in that airport to get to another terminal you have to actually go outside and take a train. So in 'frisco, the guy paused on it and asked me if it was climbing gear. I said yes and he let it go through without looking in the pack.

Not sure what the big deal about a rope is. If you wanted to tie someone up, you could do the same thing with a laptop power cord or charger cord.

In any case, I'm glad I didn't check a bag because between the cancelled flight and the plane changes, who knows where it would have ended up.