• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Kraken

Portaledge Preferences

I searched the forum and didn't really find any useful input regarding Portaledges.

I'm in the market for a double ledge and was looking at either the Metolius Bombshelter or the Black Diamond Cabana.

The Cabana looks a little bit roomier. It weighs about six pounds more than the Bombshelter, plus it has a few more bells and whistles.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/cliff_cabana_portaledge.php

http://metoliusclimbing.com/portaledges.html

Thoughts? Typical use...The Valley, Tieton, etc. :grin:

Thanks!

thought: buy used...these things are pricey!!!

i've only used the old A5 wind chime double and the Black diamond one that unfolds.

wind chime: lighter can be flagged but is a beeotch to setup

foldup one: heavy but set up is super mega fast.

imo - the last thing you want to do at the end of a long day...is struggle setting up the ledge.

that being said - i'd be willing to sell my old A5 for a bargain if you're looking to pinch pennies.

Setting up a ledge in Tieton? On Basalt columns that are 30 meters high?

If you meant Teton, that is a long way to carry a ledge of any weight.

I really like my Bombshelter but only slept on it one night and then off the first bolt of a climb. It seemed pretty bomber. I was gonna sleep on a BD one night but it imploded before the sun even set. Can't really blame the ledge but the Met seems more solid and it has that cool fly by Mt. Hardware.

screw boulder problems. how about big wall problems? throw a crash pad on it and set up as you work your way bouldering up el cap. a whole new crazy way to climb. maybe the new trend for the 2010's?