Carpool to AK in June

elliottwill

Hey,

I'm trying to get home from college to Alaska this summer, and flying's pretty expensive. I'd like to split the cost of gas and get a ride up there with someone-- or potentially drive myself if a couple people are interested. If you're going up there to climb, I grew up in Talkeetna, and can give you a place to stay. You can do a background check at flickr.com/photos/will_elliott. I'd be coming from California via Seattle.

Thanks!

Edited by elliottwill

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be done with school in the 2nd week of June. I've got family in Portland, so it would be no problem to meet you there. The fastest I've made it from Seattle to Haines, AK, was 36 hours, including a long detour through Vancouver and the Sea to Sky highway. I was hoping to get home as fast as possible this time.

Driving is way cheaper than flying if you have 2+ people.

2600 miles / 20 mpg = 130 gallons * $3/gal = $390 / 2 people = about $200 altogether one way. Alaska Airlines wants something like $750 round trip if you buy the ticket now, so you save almost $400. For me, as a grad student money is more important than time, so this is a good deal.

Maybe we can get someone else to come along and help break up the driving?

• 2 weeks later...

elliot-

I was thining about my situation, and decided to buy a plane ticket. Got a roundtrip from PDX to ANC that fits my needs perfectly for $530. Sorry I couldn't help- but the time was the biggest factor. I'm stuck in a "career" job, so the time is worth more than the money, and my boss already wants to kill me for taking 24 days off.

hopefully you can find someone to ride, that would be hella fun.