Stupid Gym Membership

hikerwa

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to head there once or twice a week as I live less than a couple miles from it...

Usually Tuesday/Thursday night generally around 7 or 8, unless I can get there early and miss the crowds... When do you usually show up?

I am always willing to belay and hit the routes rather than staying on the ground bouldering. I am the guy with curly long blond hair, and a rasta colored chalk bag. Give me a shout if you see me there.

Michael cool.gif" border="0

we can start the whole anti-gym thread all over.

my basic opinion is that gyms really suck compared to real rock, but when it is all you have to get a pump and stay in shape, I will take it. I go to climb rather than socialize.

I would very much rather be out at Index jamming up a crack than pulling on plastic any day.

wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by rr666:
we can start the whole anti-gym thread all over.

my basic opinion is that gyms really suck compared to real rock, but when it is all you have to get a pump and stay in shape, I will take it. I go to climb rather than socialize.

I would very much rather be out at Index jamming up a crack than pulling on plastic any day.

wink.gif" border="0

all i was doing was making an oberservation, next thing i know hiwerwa and sloppy were hitting on me.....i am inncoent!!! as usuall!!! wink.gif" border="0

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

all i was doing was making an oberservation, next thing i know hiwerwa and sloppy were hitting on me.....i am inncoent!!! as usuall!!!
wink.gif" border="0

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Well I gotta say that I do agree with your observation. There are a few groups that are always sociallizing, then there is the rest of us who don't know anybody there and we just climb!!

[big Drink][big Drink]

I don't know, I think half the fun at being at a climbing gym is hanging out meeting people, bullshitting about whatever. Lots of "those groups who are socializing" are members that come to the gym on the same nights each week. I'd say that 90% of the the people who come to the gym are super cool, and the other 10% arn't. Those are pretty good odds compared to a standard workout gym in the city.

I've been a member of PDX RG for some time now and I still don't know a soul there! I'm a relatively quiet person but it's kindof funny for all these people to recognize me there but I've never talked to a one of them! Not that I don't like them or anything. Probably 'cause I'm a V2 kindof guy and spend "valuable crag time" climbing volcanic choss/rime piles. [laf]

Yeah, yeah, meow. mad.gif" border="0 Look what a shitty day at work does to me.

Anyway, I go to the gym to climb, and I'm glad to have everyone there in the gym with me. I've met some folks there (whose names I've never learned or forgotten) who b.s. with me about routes or moves or whatever, it's all good fun. And who is not amused when some football-player-lookin' dude comes into Vertical World with his gorgeous, clueless girlfriend, who struggles to get anywhere up the wall without the weight of her enormous hooters pulling her back into the void?

I don't see why anyone would go to the gym *just* to socialize or troll for a date... rolleyes.gif" border="0

I'll see you suckas at Stone Gardens Thursday!

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:
Usually the big football player lookin dude struggles alot more than the cute girlfriend...

HAH! Some gym rat saw me lifting weights and asked if I could do a lockoff. I tried but wasn't quite strong enough. He got on the bar and did a lock off no problem, very proud of himself. "So hey bro how much you weigh?" I ask. "Umm 150." I tell him to jump back on and hand him a 50 pound barbell. He grabs it and slams to the ground. "Now you have an idea what it is like for me to do it!" grin.gif" border="0

Stone Gardens is closer to my place, so I go there, plus I hear it is cheaper... It is also not quite as big, but they both get crowded... SG does have more bouldering than VW, but less lead climbs and TR's. I think those are the basic reasons.

"Cheap" and "climbing gym" don't fit in the same sentence. I'll admit I've done it a few times, but I can't justify buying a membership, i.e. paying for something that is a poor substitute for the real thing, which is more or less free.

It's gym rat slang for basically holding a contraction, like at the top of the pullup. To clarify it was a one arm lockoff, so basically doing a pullup and at the top letting go with one hand. I almost was able to hold. Not sure how being able to do a onearm lockoff will help me climb 5.9s cracks better but whatever.