Equipment for Bolivian Peaks

Jim

So - I only climb the volcanoes in order to ski them so I don't even own plastic climbing boots, and have a down jacket and sleeping bag to match three season conditions in the Cascades. And I generally go the light and mildly suffer range of clothing.

Planning a trip to Bolivia for some mod routes and looking for advice on:

Boots

Down bag

Overboots?

Gloves

other essentials?

I'd rather purchase things I will use often but I doubt that will be the case so I'll also be looking for used items. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you taking skis? If so your ski boots should be fine. I've climbed in Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru and didn't need plastic boots. I used gaitors but not overboots. I took overboots on my first trip but never used them. I wore Salomon Pro Ice boots.

I'm a believer in getting a good nights sleep so I dont scrimp on sleeping bags--I took the same bag with me I used in Alaska and was glad I did (-40F) because I used it with a bivvy sack in Bolivia. You could get by with a lot less if you have to.

I climbed in the Condoriri and few routes on Huayana Potosi and didn't use anything different than I do in the Cascades. I have like a 20 degree down bag, which coupled with some hot water bottles and fleece pants, was more than toasty. Don't own plastic boots so I used my leather Scarpa Cumbre's. No overboots, no gaiters. Granted, I wasn't out in a blizzard or any screaming winds, but this kind of equipment got me by just fine. Some warm mitts is all I needed for gloves. Did a fair amount of ice climbing with them as well. I'm guessing that things can get a little cold down there, but I did not experience anything different than the Cascades (except it was a lot sunnier!).

Cool. That's encouraging. I have pretty lightweight boots so I'll likely go plastic and my bag is a 10 yr old packed-down thing so I could use that. Otherwise then maybe a warm pair of mitts! I had a friend that was down there and went with overboots, downpants, and such and was still cold. That was in January I think. I'm planning on July.

I also like the idea of keeping weight down and sleeping in things if needed.