20/20 - Rescue Story

Mike_Gauthier

Though this isn't "climbing" specifice, here comes another 'rescue' story...

ABC NEWS, “20/20” is developing a story on rescues of outdoor adventurers in local, state and national parks. The rescues may involve any activity in one of the parks in your region – rafting, hiking, climbing, caving, boating etc., etc. If you can help with the following please send an email to the producer, listed below:

(1) Are you aware of video footage of actual rescues , shot within the last few years. Often the video is shot by a bystander or local TV station, not an NPS employee. Please direct the producer to the video or source.

(2) Are you aware of video footage of park visitors engaging in risky behavior. For instance -- video of people cliff jumping, although posted warnings advise against the activity.

(3) Within the last year, have visitors been engaged in banned sports , such as base jumping?

Bonnie Van Gilder, Producer

ABC NEWS, “20/20”

bonnie.vangilder@abc.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much money is spent on average stupidity, ie. drunk driver crashes, house fires, ambulance calls, etc? I'm guessing climbers & basejumpers in general are vastly more prepared & self sufficient? How about money spent on corporate bailouts? I feel kinda like busting my femur out in the woods just so I can get my share, haha.

My thoughts are if any one chooses to stick their dick in the grinder, no matter if they are picking mushrooms, wildflowers or climbing, THE GOVERNMENT should ABSOLUTELY not be involved in any way except as a relayer of communications - if that. Expecting them to bail ya out gives them the moral and probably the legal authority to tell you when, where or even if you will go.

Call Portland Mountain Rescue, the local explorers, the country Search and Rescue or boyscouts post and if they choose to go save your ass for free, then it's free. Otherwise, pony up the money. I've gotten that call from the potential widow at 2am when the weather is too bad for the Mountain Rescue folks to mobilize and gone up to chase down a buddy with folks I've called to wake up in sideways sleet. It the way it should always be.

The riskiest behavior I can think of is getting in your car to drive to the park; or perhaps stumbling onto a marijuana grow state or federal land. THOSE things are truly dangerous.

These slimeball TV producers are really great at getting people to send them material for programs which they (the producers, anchors, hosts,etc.) will be paid hundreds of thousands, or millions for, while you get a pittance (if you're lucky) or zilch.

The list of questions for actual rescue footage or risky behavior implies what they're REALLY looking for- (translation-"Was there blood and gore? Bodies? Screaming?",etc.)

ABC NEWS, “20/20” is developing a story on rescues of outdoor adventurers in local, state and national parks. The rescues may involve any activity in one of the parks in your region – rafting, hiking, climbing, caving, boating etc., etc. If you can help with the following please send an email to the producer, listed below:

One reason why this is a good idea?

Hey instead of bitching about what the producer might due how about bucking up and write a note expressing your concern that rescues especially those of climbers though high profile cost less than most rescue including mushroom pickers. Then point them to the AAC study and hope that they would not sensationalize these rescues anymore than they already are.

Bill's comment is a good one - as it is called person responsibility.

Edited by ScaredSilly

Its not so much about personal responsibility its that my buddies would be about 1000% more likely to rescue me if I was fucked up in the mountains than most S & R outfits.

That being said, I know a lot of the guys in the Chelan County S & R are competent climbers and EMS personnel.

These slimeball TV producers are really great at getting people to send them material for programs which they (the producers, anchors, hosts,etc.) will be paid hundreds of thousands, or millions for, while you get a pittance (if you're lucky) or zilch.

The list of questions for actual rescue footage or risky behavior implies what they're REALLY looking for- (translation-"Was there blood and gore? Bodies? Screaming?",etc.)

You hit the nail on the head, dude. I work in that industry from time to time and sensationalism and the generation of outrage is what gains viewers = $$$

Don't expect fair coverage. And when they're done wrecking you for this week's story, they're on to their next....perhaps the serious danger of Twinkies in contributing to obesity and the decline of civilization or maybe how you're ripped off by pizza-makers using less than "authentic" cheese.

Then point them to the AAC study and hope that they would not sensationalize these rescues anymore than they already are.

If they wanted to do that story they wouldnt ask for video of dramatic rescues. Do you watch TV? AAC studies is not what sells, dramatic rescues of "stupid" people sells, ever watch cops?

Ever been in a news room? They arent talking about how they hope there werent any injuries..or mushroom pickers. No pics no video no story!

Just remember one thing there are "old" but never "bold" climbers / skiers around. Case in point Alex Lowe, Craig Kelly, Doug Coombs and the list goes on and on. It is part of the risk that we all know about and the flat landers don't get it. For some, there big risk in life is crossing the street without a cross walk.

I was thinking of Jeff Lowe. Did some sick extreme stuff, way scary and way out there - totally amazing. Has Multiple Sclerosis and needs 2 canes to walk. Lots more of that kind of craziness going on. But given Stossels libertarian bent, I suspect that this will be about the government paying for rescues.

Hey instead of bitching about what the producer might due how about bucking up and write a note expressing your concern that rescues especially those of climbers though high profile cost less than most rescue including mushroom pickers. Then point them to the AAC study and hope that they would not sensationalize these rescues anymore than they already are.

So with that, I guess it's once again about time to trot out the 2005 report Climbing Rescues in America: Reality Does Not Support 'High-Risk, High-Cost' Perception by Lloyd Athearn of the AAC.

Since I can't seem to call it up from the AAC's website anymore, perhaps someone who has AAC Library privileges can post a link to the full report???

This old link to the report is dead: http://www.americanalpineclub.org/pdfs/MRreal.pdf

In the meantime, here is the report's conclusion statement:

Charging for search and rescue transforms a public safety activity that is principally about saving lives into a business decision – with many unanticipated consequences. The agencies and individuals closest to the issue feel strongly that charging for search and rescue is unwise, creates added safety risks for victims and rescuers, and could open up government agencies to costly lawsuits. Contrary to popular beliefs, climbing injuries and fatalities have become progressively rarer in recent decades, climbers are not “risk-taking daredevils,” and climbing rescues are rather infrequent in comparison to rescues for other recreational groups. Though climbing rescues may be more expensive on average than rescues of many other recreational groups, climbers provide greater volunteer support and pay more directly to offset rescue costs than do virtually all other recreational groups. In those limited areas where charge-for-rescue laws have been established, they have done little to reduce public search and rescue expenses, and they have never been used to make a mountaineer or rock climber pay for a rescue. Thus, there is little justification to support discriminatory policies that would require climbers to pay for the costs of their search and rescue services while other groups would continue to be rescued without charge.