superB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 day trip = 4000 cubic inch

1 day trip = 2500 cubic inch

I am sure someone will argue that a 3999 cubic inch is better for a 3 day.

The best pack is the one that fits you best and can hold all the stuff you really NEED. Not the stuff you "want" to bring. Need is less than want. Except that as we get older and more tired, we all want less on our back than we need and maybe left unprepared. Whatever.

How about get all your gear together including food and water and try your packs out to see what holds it all in. Then go for a couple mile walk and see if it sucks or not.

I would suggest a very lightweight summit pack like the MEC genie when they used to make them. while it is extra weight, it might be worth it on summit day.

enjoy rainier!

I carry a 3500cu for 3day stuff, & it's usually stuffed to the gills so I'd say Yeah, 3999.5 is probably better, remember, you need just enough stuff to be cold & miserable when you stop moving & keep moving!Unless YOU are carrying the beer, then approx. 7800cu is juuusst right! I do usually bring a small summit pack, a bit more weight overall but way more fun on summit day! good luck out there.

Thanks for advice, all. I have a Lowe Alpine pack right around that size that I bought 9 years ago and it is still going strong. Great value too. I guess I was expecting smaller volume requirements for just a 1 night trip. But now that I think about it, looking over the gear, I'll be lucky if I get it in my 60L pack.

So second question - will most mountaineering boots do the trick? I know everyone has their favorite brand and model. I am looking at Asolos because that's what I've had the best luck with in hiking boots. Cheers

Generally, if asolos fit your feet, then I would stick with that brand but find a model that fits the trip. They tend to use the same last (foot shape) for different models so there is a greater chance that it will work for you. Sometimes this doesn't work as they may use a different last for different boots. People.

What model of boot were you thinking about? Enter the ongoing discussions of what to wear on rainier. Plastic vs leather debate.

Oh I just read your post again and it looks like you are asking what asolo model is best for rainier. Am I right? (I don't know squat about asolo)

Rainier in july is a fine time. enjoy!