Climbing with minors - legal implications?

DPS

Second, Have the liability coverage on your homeowner or renter policy increased to $500,000 or $1 million.

You can get an umbrella insurance policy which ups the coverage on top of your homeowners and auto insurance policies. Contact your current insurer. It's pretty cheap.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't feel I should be treated any differently than an adult climber by my partners.

And that's why you're still a kid, because you don't really get it yet. You're not making decisions with an adult mind, based on a wealth of adult experience, nor are you capable of fully weighing the consequences of your actions in the same way that an adult would, because you can't at your age. You're still a kid. Sure, you've got talent and motivation, but you're not the real deal yet.

I started climbing when I was 15, and was always treated well and equally within the confines of the Seattle Mountaineers. I think that Choada's comments are off the mark here. You can start climbing young, and interact with adults on an equal basis (or almost so). John Roskelly mentioned the same thing in an interview from long ago.

I honestly don't feel I should be treated any differently than an adult climber by my partners.

And that's why you're still a kid, because you don't really get it yet. You're not making decisions with an adult mind, based on a wealth of adult experience, nor are you capable of fully weighing the consequences of your actions in the same way that an adult would, because you can't at your age. You're still a kid. Sure, you've got talent and motivation, but you're not the real deal yet.

I started climbing when I was 15, and was always treated well and equally within the confines of the Seattle Mountaineers.

Then that's a problem with the Mountaineers. Start climbing young, okay, whatever, but treating a 15 year old kid as an equal on a climbing trip? For real? Are you fucking crazy?

I started climbing when I was 15, and was always treated well and equally within the confines of the Seattle Mountaineers.

Then that's a problem with the Mountaineers. Start climbing young, okay, whatever, but treating a 15 year old kid as an equal on a climbing trip? For real? Are you fucking crazy?

It was a long time ago, so I don't want to get too far into a critique of the Mountaineers. But they do have (had?) a rather rigid hierarchical leadership, which, like the military, could lessen the potential for poor decisions by the underlings.

Things seem to go aray when a group a teenagers go thru a descision making process (groupthink), which isn't highly mentally evolved. But the same thing can happen with adults, remember Dick Rumpy, and George deciding to attack Iraq? And these rules do not apply to all teenagers

:lmao: "Wealth of adult experience"??? When does that arrive? When you turn 18?

A person with a dollar is infinitely wealthier than a person with no dollar.

No, a person with a dollar is undefinably wealthier than a person with no dollar, at least if you want to compare the two as a ratio. In math, division by 0 is meaningless, NOT infinity. Letting it be infinity leads to some very strange properties.

linky

I've helped adults climbers off mountains quickly when they otherwise would have been benighted, I always help make key decisions as well as adults... I don't feel like a less valuable person on the team when I am with adults.

They do tend to make me lead all the dangerous pitches though b/c I don't have a wife and kids to take care of.... :)

MIDGETS1.jpg

RuMR and his posse after the comp the other day :grin:

yep...the two most juvenile posters had to post... :rolleyes: kev and his bitch, pink

What RuMR lacks in stature he obvious;y makes up with maturity :toad:

Im really confused... What was this subject about? maturity or leagal problems while climbing with minors?

To the extent that this discussion is about maturity, I think we've seen here that age does not equal maturity. But then again I was one who suggested somebody take rhetorical discussions apart from the original question elsewhere so maybe I shouldn't say such a thing.

Bottom line? I'd climb with Collin or Marc just as I would my siser-in-law's kids. Yes, I realize I could be sued but the fact is I'm pretty damn conservative when I take somebody else's kids out climbing and I believe the actual risk is very very low. I might oughtta inquire about the umbella policy, though. Can TomTom suggest that it would really protect against such a disaster as where I planned and led an outing and we were cragging and Collin or Marc knocked their noggin?