fuck off

glassgowkiss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if they (congress, the new "owners") have to balls to actually take back these bonuses.

They are certainly trying to respond to popular (and populist) sentiment here, but the fact is the bonuses are really only symbolic and not a real substantive issue, no? I'm watching this whole thing with a bag of popcorn.

Funny how congress just saw fit to vote themselves a big raise the other night despite their terrible management of the economy.

Source? This just happened? How big was the raise?

My understanding was that the last congressional raise was in January (about $4000. My raises are bigger than that.) and that actually congress decided not to have a raise in 2010 due to the economy. Additionally, isn't there a bill on the floor to end the "automatic" cost-of-living adjustments that occur every year? I believe they also skipped raises in 2007.

Funny how congress just saw fit to vote themselves a big raise the other night despite their terrible management of the economy.

My understanding was that the last congressional raise was in January (about $4000. My raises are bigger than that.) and that actually congress decided not to have a raise in 2010 due to the economy. Additionally, isn't there a bill on the floor to end the "automatic" cost-of-living adjustments that occur every year? I believe they also skipped raises in 2007.

January is already "in" the current crisis when the "bailouts" and "stimuli" packages were being discussed.

It is just as fucking unseemly for congress to take ANY raise when the economy is so f-d as it is for AIG to pay out bonus, or GM execs to fly in private jets.

January is already "in" the current crisis when the "bailouts" and "stimuli" packages were being discussed.

It is just as fucking unseemly for congress to take ANY raise when the economy is so f-d as it is for AIG to pay out bonus, or GM execs to fly in private jets.

OK, well, first of all, January is not "the other night" and a $4000 raise is not the same as million dollar bonuses and flying in private jets. Also, it wasn't "voted for", it was an automatic cost-of-living adjustment that goes into effect every year (they voted this into law in the 90's I think).

Just saying. :crazy:

OK, well, first of all, January is not "the other night" and a $4000 raise is not the same as million dollar bonuses and flying in private jets. Also, it wasn't "voted for", it was an automatic cost-of-living adjustment that goes into effect every year (they voted this into law in the 90's I think).

Just saying. :crazy:

It's all about perception. The raise was 4700 and it's on top of a 169,300 salary.

Meanwhile national unemployment is near 9% the last I heard.

It's all about perception.

Exactly. Fairweather is undoubtedly relaying the message from a source that is spreading misleading information that at best is based on 10% truth and 90% B.S., with the goal being to try to influence public perception.

G.W. Junior Wasting More Time and Money.

ncb_e_obama-bracket01_300.jpg

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy

l2f44a342cba34f2ca1f876vf0.jpg

With economy in shambles, Congress gets a raise

By Jordy Yager

Posted: 12/17/08 05:41 PM [ET]

A crumbling economy, more than 2 million constituents who have lost their jobs this year, and congressional demands of CEOs to work for free did not convince lawmakers to freeze their own pay.

Instead, they will get a $4,700 pay increase, amounting to an additional $2.5 million that taxpayers will spend on congressional salaries, and watchdog groups are not happy about it.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/with-economy-in-shambles-congress-gets-a-raise-2008-12-17.html

Edited by pink

Exactly. Fairweather is undoubtedly relaying the message from a source that is spreading misleading information that at best is based on 10% truth and 90% B.S., with the goal being to try to influence public perception.

Congress members, like corporate execs, have a total compensation package that far exceeds what the average person will ever see.

And they determine their own benefits and increase them at will.

I think u hit the nail on the head there ivan. when writing a stimulus package, one must choose the right wording.

is barry getting a little cabin fever at the overlook?

G.W. Junior Wasting More Time and Money.

ncb_e_obama-bracket01_300.jpg

l2f44a342cba34f2ca1f876vf0.jpg

WillyWonkaInTheShining.gif

With economy in shambles, Congress gets a raise

By Jordy Yager

Posted: 12/17/08 05:41 PM [ET]

A crumbling economy, more than 2 million constituents who have lost their jobs this year, and congressional demands of CEOs to work for free did not convince lawmakers to freeze their own pay.

Instead, they will get a $4,700 pay increase, amounting to an additional $2.5 million that taxpayers will spend on congressional salaries, and watchdog groups are not happy about it.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/with-economy-in-shambles-congress-gets-a-raise-2008-12-17.html

write your congressman and senator and ask them about foregoing their increase - i'm doing that today and am looking forward to the response :)

Congress members, like corporate execs, have a total compensation package that far exceeds what the average person will ever see.

And they determine their own benefits and increase them at will.

And those benefits continue until they die. Not like ours, that must be continued either by making COBRA payments when we're fired/laid-off, getting picked up by another employer that offers them, pay for them by ourselves, or forego having benefits at all if we can't afford them.