Vantage Porta-Johns

unklehuck

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but where would all the climbers camp? There is a DNR land not to far away that i have used in the past for hunting and there is always the town of Vantage but gas prices... Im just saying because people drive prety far way to climb there. Last time i was there, there was about 3 differnt climbing partys from Cannada.

Edited by CollinWoods

It's a trade-off for sure. But a free camping area there will draw the people that bring the needles. Better to forego the camping and have a clean area to climb in. Vantage isn't any further from Seattle than it is from Spokane and I'm willing to drive there for a day if I wasn't risking a needle in my ass or feces on my tennies. As it is, there's much better climbing closer to Spokane.

Edited by spotly

I know, right. I was out there last Tuesday-Friday and most people didnt even bother to put rocks on top of there 'Easter Eggs'.

In some ways it may actually be better not to hide it under a rock. I don't know the biology or rotting poo in that environment but my guess is that it will stick around a lot longer if hidden under a rock. A better thing to do might be to stir it with some sand or dirt but then somebody is likely to step in your mess. Obviously, better yet would be to use blue bags and carry it home.

How about a pooper that is suspended out over the cliff above F. Coulee?

-Would keep people from shitting all over the place.

-Wouldn't smell much (poop would be 100' down).

-Very little maintenance required.

-Would make for a fun pooping experience (watching Mr. Hanky take the 100' plunge)

Yeah, but where would all the climbers camp? There is a DNR land not to far away that i have used in the past for hunting and there is always the town of Vantage but gas prices... Im just saying because people drive prety far way to climb there. Last time i was there, there was about 3 differnt climbing partys from Cannada.

I'm pretty sure half the climbers last weekend were from Canada!

And AlpineFox, that might not be a good idea because Layback might freak out about how dangerous it is becasue we didn't check the forecast and he might have to go rescue the turds from the potentially serious fall!

Edited by kevino

I know, right. I was out there last Tuesday-Friday and most people didnt even bother to put rocks on top of there 'Easter Eggs'.

In some ways it may actually be better not to hide it under a rock. I don't know the biology or rotting poo in that environment but my guess is that it will stick around a lot longer if hidden under a rock. A better thing to do might be to stir it with some sand or dirt but then somebody is likely to step in your mess. Obviously, better yet would be to use blue bags and carry it home.

I guess another issue is the toilet paper that people leave lying around. Not enough people are willing to pack out and throw it away. There is a gas staition about 6 miles from the parking lot (it also has coffee) but not many people take advantage of it.

I hope its not just for the weekend.

The blue one looked more permanent, the brown, who knows? Perhaps we should all band together to rent a port-a-potty and then just put a lock on it, and distribute the combination to those who contribute to a fund. Lock er up when your business is done.

I may be pissing up a rope here, but methinks if you lock a terlit so that only a select few can make use of it, it won't be long before the Great Unwashed that don't enjoy similar access will reduce the facility to a pile of broken plastic. This is the nature of things...

• 2 years later...
The Washington Climbers Coalition, with the help of a grant from the Frenchman Coulee Climbers Coalition, is providing a porta potty for the fall season 2011. We seek a more permanent solution.

Matt - can you give us dates, even ball park time of month, that the porta potties will be taken out again?