FF Volant Parka

ridgeline

Looking for opinions on this jacket.

Back to the same dilemma, 98% of use will be lower 48 winter climbing, ice climbing, but I also want something for denali next year and wondering if this would suffice.

Not being near feathered friends i'm not able to handle the jacket and have no idea how much 9oz of fill really feels like.

I'm also looking at the Frontpoint of theirs which has 13oz. of down fill but wondering if this would be overkill for most of my outings.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I have the Volant, Icefall, and Rock and Ice Parkas. The Volant has been great for Rainier trips nearly year round. It fits well with a harness and you can move freely wearing it. I will use the Icefall if really cold weather is expected seeing that I am a wuss in the cold. The Rock and ice parka is so bulky it almost hampers your ability to move... only reason I got it is because it was a screaming cheap deal.

From what I have heard most people go with the Icefall parka for Denali. It is a longer cut like the Frontpoint but it has more fill. I believe the Icefall is the number one jacket they rent for Denali trips.

I can't really comment on the frontpoint, every time Ive gone to FF they havent had one in a XXL.

Hope this helps!

Many Frontpoints have gone to Denali...but depending on when you go I might bump up to the Icefall for early season ascents. Mountain Trip used to recommend the Volant, but probably for later season ascents. The Icefall would be closest to an Absolute Zero parka (MH) or Marmots 8000m parka.

The Frontpoint jacket is similar in thickness to the Volant, but cut longer (parka style).

You can see the Volant in use at the following link. Big picture is ice climbing in Ouray. Lower right is sitting on top of Mt. Baker, middle picture is a Frontpoint sitting on the flanks of Mt. Silverthrone (Alaska Range), and the right is up on Mt. Rainier. Hope that helps!

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Garments/GarmentsMidweight.html

the volant is cut small which I mean that it is not meant to be layered heavily under. So for denali a larger than normal volant may be needed. Of course you would need the optional hood.

the volant would be great for new england climbing.

I know their hyperion and helios are cut small, but I wouldn't say the volant is cut small. It seems to be cut to accomodate layers like a true belay jacket.

I say go with a volant, and add a few extra ounces of down at $10 per ounce, and call it good.

The Volant is a great jacket ... for me cut just right. If you do go with it and don't get the hood at least have make sure it comes set up to add the hood later .. I believe it does or they will add the snaps for a small cost ... can't remember

I've got an old one w/o the hood and to add it they have to rivet the snaps all the way through both layers of the collar.

• 3 weeks later...
...and my question is "why doesn't FF offer a lightweight down jacket with a fixed hood?" Like, who removes their hood and why would you want a jacket without one?

I remove my Volant hood all the time. Summer mountaineering in the PNW = no hood. Winter ice climbing and mountaineering = hood.