winter/denali sleeping bag length

iceaxe23

Ok trying to get my gear for a future Denali trip and very cold winter climbing.

I have an old moonstone down bag zone 2 800 fill that is rated for -15 with liner that I don't think will be warm enough for me for denali but fine for most winter camping in the lower 48.

I also got an old Moonstone cassin ridge 800 made in usa -20 bag that is a long and won't work with the liner I have from the other bag as the liner is too short.

I can also get a real good deal on a new north face -40 inferno 800 fill down bag but they only make them in long (not sure why).

I'm 5'8" and was wondering if the almost extra foot of space would be a problem in the cassin or inferno bag? how much foot space to you all have in your bags? Would it be best for me to get rid of the long bag and find the correct size?

thanks much

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just an opinion but for me, I have not had luck with drying boot liners in the foot part of the bag. I usually sleep with them next to the thigh or stomach. Same with the water bottle. Seems like items in the feet part just get cold, then my foot gets cold.

Plus with a long bag, the body must heat up more space (with larger surface area to volume ratio). So colder feet might be an issue. Based on that, I would suggest getting a bag that does not have excessive room in the foot.

Denali deserves much respect and I shutter every time I read someone trying to save money on gear that goes up there. You can save money now but regret it when you get up there.(or worse) You can spend the money now and enjoy yourself up there.

things worth spending the money on:

boots and overboots (lots of miles)

tent (your life could very well hang on this purchase)

sleeping bag (how many cold nights can you suffer at -20 in thin air with many hard days previously before you bail prematurely)

pack (every day this pig will be on)

stove (your life could also hang on this small item if it doesn't work)

the tent should be in very good shape, better yet new. High camp can be brutal as the snow walls are hard to make and the winds can be high.

If I didn't have a sleeping bag made for denali, I would go rent one from feathered friends instead of buying a subpar bag on sale. (there is a reason why it is on sale) You won't regret it.

p.s. I have only used FF bags but I am sure that others can suggest other good manufacturers, like western mountaineering.

Edited by genepires

thanks for the advice and I have no disrespect for Denali.

Yea after what you all said it makes sense not to carry the extra foot of down on the long bags. My other bag that is a regular is plenty big to fit my water bottle and boot liners in. I agree about it getting cold if too much space is in it to warm up.

I have a good tent (new north face ve-25), ice 9000 boots and brooks overboots, wild things andinista pack, though now I have to look into a good stove as I only have canister stoves.

The reason I asked about the The north face Inferno bag was the store I work at carries that brand and I could get it cheap. It's not on sale but I could get it for a good price.

I think I am just going to look into Feathered friends or some other well made USA bags. I will get rid of my Moonstone cassin ridge long bag.

looking at feathered friends site it shows a -25 bag as the most used in Alaska. Is that the way to go and not a -40?

thanks all

looking at feathered friends site it shows a -25 bag as the most used in Alaska. Is that the way to go and not a -40?

thanks all

I think it depends upon when you are going and how warm/cold you sleep. If you go early May and you sleep cold you may want a -40 bag. I went late May-early June in a cold year and took a -15 bag and was warm enough, although I sleep pretty warm.

ve25 is a sweet tent, probably the best things NF ever made. Surprising they didn't fuck it up.

You might want to try some test runs with the andinista with all your denali gear. It might not carry so well. I knew a guy who did it with an andista and he suffered. And he is a "hardman" too.

I am sorry if I suggested that you didn't have respect for the mountain. I didn't mean to imply you so much as others who haven't before. It is easy to dismiss a trip up the w butt but people die there every year. ( I don't know which route you are doing)

Enjoy the route! it is a real good time and something to remember.

Edited by genepires

it's a long size though :cry:

as to the brooks rangers..I also have a pair of old school wild country ones fit pretty good.

when I go it will be the West buttress route. Yea I'm trying to train as I usually have 30lbs in my pack max and am not used to taking everything.

Not sure what type of sleeper you are, but I used a MH Banshee 0F and a WM MegaLite 30F on the West Butt and Cassin respectively. Slept in the 30F up at 17k a couple nights and while not ideal it worked. My thinking was I could use the lighter bag as a liner/blanket if it got really cold.

As a note, our logistics were somewhat different from most. Here are the stats...

6 people

1200# gear total (double and triple carries to 14k)

7 tents

5 stoves

3 shovels

2 saws

2 bottles scotch

etc

We had 2 adjoining 8 person tents (55#) for 14k and 3 2 person tents for getting up to 14 and to set up at 17. This worked really well as we had "camp comfort" at 14 and could just take our day packs to 17 to sleep. Then we had 2 BD FirstLights for the Cassin...

that is some cushy living at 14K! 3 people per 8 person tent. You could have dropped the one 8 person tent and brought a LOT more scotch. The scotch wouldn't weight anything other than the empty bottles for the way down. And a plus, with that much scotch you wouldn't have made the summit due to too much hangovers.