Judd Mountain

Rotary786

Anybody ever skied Judd Mountain outside of Oakridge? There is a really obvious line on the west face that is partly visible from 58. I was up there today scouting around and it looks pretty doable, although would require a bit of a bushwhack. Anybody have any info? Also interested in Fuji Mountain if anybody has skied that.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't skied the judd but i did climb the very obvious coulior a few years back. If i remember correctly, we drove just passed where the train bridge goes over the road (20 miles?) from oakridge, crossed the river and parked after the road winds around the hill to allow us to get as close to the coulior as possible. We hiked up the river drainage and then up to coulior. When we did it, it was fairly icy and we chose to rope up as there was some pretty steep sections. We used pickets and that was it. Ended up having to rappel down a 30ish ft. cliff on the way down taking the more direct way instead of the way we came up.

I believe in the right conditions it would definitely be doable and would definitely require some bushwacking but probably well worth it. If you have any other questions, let me know. Get after it!

I just realized, is that you Ira?

this is Craig...

Edited by cemmes

I did attempt to ski Fuji back in about 1996? cant remember. Lot had quit an adventure, rain on snow, then got cold and had to wait out a blizzard in the shelter near the base. Tried skiing the following day, lot of up and down small ridges/features on the way in kind of sucked. I think we were way off the normal approach

I snowboarded it a few years back. Didn't drop the cliff, though...bad knees. Rapped off the trees.

This place has very easy access since the road is plowed, and is my favorite little local alpine crag. When the temps drop a little more there is water ice everywhere in it, since it never sees the sun in the winter. Don't go in it when it's loaded up to slide, there are amazing avalanche piles at the bottom throughout the winter to prove it and there is no where to go.

There are other runs/chutes to climbers right that have skiing, ice climbing in the winter.

Really neat area.

Lee

Edited by luvshaker