Rock Climbing around San Diego?

klenke

This Spring I will be in San Diego for a few days. I was wondering if anyone knows of any outdoor rock climbing areas that are within an hour or two's drive of San Diego. The desired range of climbs for these possible areas are Class 5.easy to 5.11.

Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of fun to be had down there. Mission Gorge was the squalid little crag I learned to climb at, I loved it fiercely.

3326659863_b92cbabfe2.jpg

3222485777_66a96071f2.jpg

3327508770_2f385cd2e1.jpg

Santee is amazing bouldering, mostly edging, but you'd do best to have finger calluses that go rat-a-tat-tat when you drum your fingers on the formica table at the mexican restaurant.

3326659489_2bae5a2355.jpg

3326659649_179c23aff4.jpg

3327497004_9035ef8668.jpg

Woodson is the be all end all of crack bouldering, though in fact lots of things are high enough you'd want a top rope.

3326659009_1247aa470a.jpg

3326658705_5c7b3cfa11.jpg

3326659173_a9f4597d6e.jpg

Boomer Beach offers sandy landings for bouldering on grainy chossy sandstone, but the ambiance is great.

3326658611_9f4b390118.jpg

3327495246_5d9820ab07.jpg

3326667709_897aaa56a0.jpg

El Cajon Mountain mostly got developed after I left, looks to be mostly good sport climbing. There's a newish place, Eagle Mountain I think, that's supposed to be splendid. That's most of the visitor worthy stuff within 40 minutes of downtown, but there's more of course for those obsessed. The whole county is just full of rock, but the chaparral vegetation is comparable to the worst bushwacking the NW. I could cough up some .pdf guidebook stuff if you need it Paul.

Thanks for the info, everyone. And thanks for the cool Black & Offwhite pics, Off.

So I found this book available on Amazon but the $59 asking price (for a used book) seems rather high:

Mission Gorge A Climber's Guide

Does anyone have any feedback on this book? Is it worth it for someone who doesn't know the area? Is it worth the money?

Paul

That free guide is alright, though the author, Art Messier, is the wack job who's been chopping other peoples routes and engaged in assorted other thievery and vandalism. He's a rap bolter himself, and has retrobolted and renamed a number of routes at Mission Gorge, so it's not an ethical crusade, but rather some manifestation of psychosis.

As an alternative, Chris Hubbard has a bunch of free topos available here though they tend to be more artsy, watercolors and such, and not as informative as Art's work. Those pdf guides of Art's had disappeared from the web for awhile, anyone interested should download and cache a copy while they can.

That's coincidental! I actually found that Messier book online (same link) about ten minutes before this latest string of posts. I was thinking, "Wow, this guide looks pretty detailed and is just what I need!" Now you tell me this guy is considered in some circles to be unscrupulous. Given that I have no opinion on the matter, I think I will use it. I've printed it out and will attempt to get it bound at Kinko's (I mean a local printing shop :) )

And the Hubbard cupboard is nice too. Looks like I've got more research to do there.

Regarding your San Diego County guide, Off, would this be the same as the one called "San Diego Rock Climbing: A Guide to Sport and Top-Rope Routes in San Diego County" that I've found for sale at Amazon (but currently out of stock)?

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing this book and perhaps borrowing it. If you're going to be up in Seattle soon, do you know a specific date and time? Perhaps we can make a pub club event out of it.

that is interesting about Messier. I was only down there for 7 months and I did not hear anything about that. The stuff he had written in his guide did not seem to be pushing any odd agenda ect. Maybe he lost it after he wrote those... or ran out of funds for new bolt hangers.

No, the one I have is by Dave Kennedy and covers much of the county. That one you found on Amazon is news to me, kind of funny to slice the game that thin that you have a separate guide for "sport routes and top ropes" but I suppose it isn't anything that Raindawg hasn't predicted.

If you're just going to The Gorge and Santee, Messier's pdf guides will do you fine, they're well enough done. I do think they predate his meltdown, you can find ample threads about that on that San Diego Climbing site and RC.com if that sort of thing entertains you. If you want to go to Woodson (highly recommended btw) you'll want something comprehensive and printed; it's a big hill and route locations can be rather convoluted.

Paul, I think I'll be in town Sunday evening, I'll do the PM thing with specifics.