[TR] Trick Peak, Garibaldi Provincial Park - 2/27/2009

ryanl

Trip: Trick Peak, Garibaldi Provincial Park -

Date: 2/27/2009

Trip Report:

My favorite hater turned 30 on Saturday, and for the previous month had been bating some of us to go north and celebrate with him in his new digs. Emails were sent, plans were made, scrapped, and made again until it was decided that the Elfin hut in Garibaldi Provincial Park would be the place to make the milestone memorable.

12 of us in 4 cars leaving at 4 different times from 4 different locations chinese downhilled to the trail head just north of Sqaumish Thursday evening. The earliest pair made it to the hut around 10 pm, right about the time Red and I left the trailhead. The skin in covered 2500’ and took a little over 3 hours. Skies were overcast and temperatures were cold. We got there just as Lunger, Amar, and Casey were unpacking. The Tacoma/Kirkland/Kenmore crew were our only casualties. They got a late start and had to motel it en route.

The seven of us who made it were leaving the hut by 8 the next morning. Sky pointed out Trick peak, both visually and on a map. It didn’t look far. I was wrong.

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4552.JPG

Over the next five hours we traversed beautiful terrain both up and down. Cloudy skies gave way first to broken sun patches

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

then to full on sunshine:

IMG_4592.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

Travel was enjoyable. We would space out, regroup, talk, mock, laugh, trudge, and do what ever else we could to keep our attention focused on what lay ahead (rather than on how far we had to return)

IMG_4584.JPG

IMG_4588.JPG

By 12:30 we had reached the base of Trick peak.

IMG_4610.JPG

We lounged about for a bit, eating and looking for a way up and down that we all liked. Ice, apparently, is a relative term. From where we sat Trick shot up roughly 4000’. Enough for one in our group to call it a day and offer the kind service of setting a skin track back to the hut. Monika silently whispered that she was going to take lead for a bit. We lions in our pride had it good. Hannah had broken most of the trail early on. Now our other lioness was blazing vert while the rest of us finished stuffing our faces.

Our route followed a gully to the far climber’s left, then traversed up to the right before joining the main fall line directly beneath the summit. Low lying clouds began to fill the valleys, adding to views the likes of which I’ve only rarely seen.

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

At the col overlooking the Mamaquam Glacier we mistakenly set our sights on the false summit. We realized our mistake upon arrival. It was 4:45. Most if not all of us were content to ski from there. Birthday boy wanted to look around the corner to see if the summit was possible. He did, and it was. Yet another reminder why the hater we all love has such a history with getting up and down things.

IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

We all slackjawed on the summit. Glaciers, ice falls, rock spires, powder, sun, clouds, mountains. Everything mountain lovers love, in every direction. Too bad it was 5:30. I would have liked to have spent hours up there.

I didn’t take many pictures on the way down. Here are the few that I have:

Sky:

IMG_4657.JPG

Casey:

IMG_4664.JPG

The two lionesses:

lionesses3.jpg

Lunger:

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

At the base we all ogled our tracks in the alpenglow. Then it was time to don the headlamps for the skin back to the hut. What a great day.

Back at the hut we joined up with the Hummels, Dave, Christy, Ashley, and Corey for much revelry and good times. Great powder all day Saturday, beer and booze, curry and cake Saturday night made for a great weekend. Thanks to everybody who participated-I had a blast.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this is interesting.

"The Bivouac Backcountry Series is a result of a joint venture between Clark Geomatics and Bivouac.com, an online guidebook with trail and route descriptions for mountaineering, hiking, climbing, kayaking and mountain biking."

At http://www.bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=7476 "Trick" Peak is "Named according to the Delusion/Deception theme of the area", and is classified as a "standing name" which apparently means either a long standing, local, non-offical name, or a bogus thematic name that appears when Robin T. has a few glasses of peach schnapps and plays national geographer with the topo maps.

Appears bogus names have now made it onto maps. Alas, you have been TRICKED!

Bush league!!

Ok, this is interesting.

"The Bivouac Backcountry Series is a result of a joint venture between Clark Geomatics and Bivouac.com, an online guidebook with trail and route descriptions for mountaineering, hiking, climbing, kayaking and mountain biking."

At http://www.bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=7476 "Trick" Peak is "Named according to the Delusion/Deception theme of the area", and is classified as a "standing name" which apparently means either a long standing, local, non-offical name, or a bogus thematic name that appears when Robin T. has a few glasses of peach schnapps and plays national geographer with the topo maps.

Appears bogus names have now made it onto maps. Alas, you have been TRICKED!

Bush league!!

Perhaps you and Drew have lost sight of something: we climbed and skied a peak on the north side of the ManClam IceClap. I could really give a shit what you call it. The mountain was real and we had a great time.

It was the highest peak in the vicinity, so if you have an official name that you'd like to share, I'm all ears.

It's all good. I haven't looked at bivouac.com yet myself. But if you guys have it on good authority that this character's a douchebag, I'll take your word for it. I know about douchebags; I'm a douchebag myself.

Can we call it Sodomy Spire?

<>

GREAT trip! :tup:

For those not familiar with this area, some years at this time you'd be entering the hut through the upper door 'cause the lower one would be buried. Even in a normal winter you typically have to go down several feet to get in the lower door.

IMG_4550.JPG