Rush

Doug

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked 2112 in Jr High. Later I thought they were alright but nothing that amazing. Of course when I saw them in the one episode with the Trailer Park Boys they were fantastic.

[video:youtube]IT8i3oePpiA

[video:youtube]W7Kzp9vDNCo

Rush (and talk radio in general) is an interesting phenomenon. He is a propogandist, but one who has figured out how to make copious amounts of money from his trade. Being independent from government and news organizations, he's not bound by any standards of veracity, so he's free to say exactly what his audience wants to hear; (something he's figured out to a tee), which maximizes ratings and revenues. Furthermore, he treats his audience as an extended family who 'seeks the truth' which, of course, he's delivering, unlike a lot of talk show hosts who tend to use their callers as bait. As a final touch, he often mentions how much he pisses off the left, which isn't really true, because the left doesn't listen to his show. I catch him occasionally on road trips, and marvel at how well his very few rhetorical tricks work on his followers. Clearly an example of a person who does a few simple things over and over very, very well.

He's kind of like the big, rich, teddy bear, drug hooving uncle you never had.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Ann Coulter said that "Rush must be doing something right, he's got 20 million listeners". Ok, as you say he's got the propaganda spiel down really well. But my thought was yeah, and every train wreck and car accident has its share of gawkers, but that doesn't mean they want to be a fare paying passenger.

Comparing William Jennings Bryan to Rush Limbaugh? I think this may be a first--anywhere. :wazup: While Mencken's analysis of the former was correct, I don't understand why you would chose this quote for a demonstration of your thoughts. Whether or not you like his style or ideas, Limbaugh is a political force. TTK is essentially correct. This time.

Edited by Fairweather

Limbaugh's rhetoric is eerily familiar... hmm, where did I hear shrill rhetoric attacking a newly elected president before? Where did I previously hear political opponents actively wishing the President - and America - to fail...

OK we give up. Was it on Mark Levin, Savage Nation, Sean Hannity, or all of the above?

:wave:

Whether or not you like his style or ideas, Limbaugh is a political force. TTK is essentially correct. This time.

Limbaugh is a political force indeed, and one of the albatrosses that hang around the neck of the republicans. When they need to get away from the mantra of the last eight years and a perrenial adherence to "god, guns, and gay issues" and "low taxes and less regulation", Limbaugh's continual pounding of the war drums has helped paralyzed them. He defintely cowered a few of them on the vote for the stimulus bill and his rhetoric is better suited when his party is in a minority position. But I think this blowhard's time has come and gone. Faced with a younger and more diverse population the repubs know that their share of the populace pie is shrinking, and the progressive share of it is growing.

Faced with this what do the republicans do on their first collective act as a minority? Follow Limbaugh's advice, bar the door, and continue to scream no - all while having a collective amnesia bout regarding their borrow and spend ways for the past eight years. Classic! Their leaders Boehner in the House - that consistently over-tanned guy in the pinstrips, is better suited as a backroom deal maker than leading his party to a substantial minority role. Over in the Senate they have McConnell - a guy so unconfortable with the limelight it's a wonder he rose this high in the ranks. So who have the repubs been turning to for advice - no lie - Limbaugh and - get this - Newt Ginrich!!!! The thrice married former House firebrand who left office with a 10% approval rating. A number of party faithful have mentioned him as a candidate to run for president next round!! :lmao: Holy cow; these guys grasping for any life line in the neighborhood.

Limbaugh's rhetoric is eerily familiar... hmm, where did I hear shrill rhetoric attacking a newly elected president before? Where did I previously hear political opponents actively wishing the President - and America - to fail...

There was no such rhetoric at that time. And your rhetorical trick "the President - and America" doesn't fly. Bush, despite his party's anti patriotic campaign, isn't "America". America is so much better than that.

I do recall a whole lot of justified opposition from people who actual want a better America to Bush's policies, which, given their disastrous results, require no review here.

As for Rush's audience, they are half wits. The right wing talk radio target audience is comprised of that sludge you have to hose out of your trash can to keep it from gassing out the rest of the neighborhood several times a year. That sludge is always there if you continue to throw garbage on it, hence Rush's continued popularity. Fortunately, we seem to be a period where America's fascination with low culture and stupidity seems to be cooling.

Ho-ly Cow. Who is running the republican party? The token black guy or Rush. Guess that was straigtened out, eh?

What are these guys so scared of? Their apeasement of the base is clearly what has gotten them in trouble over the last eight years. Frankly, I think we need a coherent conservative voice in government - the problem is that we haven't had one for 25 years. Instead we have a pile of religious-related rhetoric an a false assumption that no government is the full solution. Can these guys save themselves? The trend is not encouraging.

No, his mind is not for rent

To any God or government.

Always hopeful, yet discontent,

He knows changes arent permanent,

But change is.

And what you say about his company

Is what you say about society.

Catch the witness, catch the wit,

Catch the spirit, catch the spit.

No, his mind is not for rent

To any God or government.

Always hopeful, yet discontent,

He knows changes arent permanent,

But change is.

And what you say about his company

Is what you say about society.

Catch the witness, catch the wit,

Catch the spirit, catch the spit.

Unfortunately, Obama believes the trees should all be kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw.