name that route!

corvallisclimb

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was fun

Smith_-_December_2008_bmp.jpg

don't know, but based on shade of the choss, I'd guess something on the faces immediately downriver from monument, say little 3fj or london tower?? nice - shows a big sawth of rock but still not clear to me.

this was fun

Smith_-_December_2008_bmp.jpg

don't know, but based on shade of the choss, I'd guess something on the faces immediately downriver from monument, say little 3fj or london tower?? nice - shows a big sawth of rock but still not clear to me.

spot on... since no one has probably done it thats the Adams/Emde Variation to the Victory of the Prolitarian Peoples Ambition Arete. Our variation was extremely dangerous, one of my most dangerous leads ever, the anchor at the end probably wouldnt have held a loaf of bread.

Edited by corvallisclimb

Woah I guess that would be Acker? I have never seen it from that angle before though, it looks huge!

==============================================================

Tyler,

Yes, this photo is of the upper southwest side. The wall is about 600 to 700 feet with another 200 to 300 ft cliff below that (not shown and vertually unexplored). So far Eagle's Dare (about 700ft) is the only route on this side of Acker. Obviously there is a little room for more routes.

Once rapairs are made on the lookout it will again be available for overnight rental (possibly this summer). The most popular route and possibly Oregon's longest (about 1,100 ft long)is the Peregrine Traverse (5.6, not shown). Peregrine and Bald Eagle sightings are common while climbing here.

Last year we were able to varify a species of Buckwheat that only grows on Acker Rock. We are hoping to organize a monitoring day this July 15 in which we will be making random rappels to count the location and distribution of this plant. Anyone who's rappelled down to the base of Eagle's Dare, with the valley floor 2,000 feet below, can tell you what an awsome face this is to be on. Please, anyone who loves exposure and can place bolts on rappel, please contact me at gorton@q.com. We'll be supplying the bolts, hangers, and food. If enough people attend maybe we'll make it an annual Spring Rappel Fest.

greg

Edited by g orton

is that rare plant species going to affect access? not that I have ever climed there

Excellent question!

The short answer is, no.

This is one of the few cases where the Forest Service's approach has been extremely objective. The plant is easily avoided when climbing. The Forest has chosen to work closely with the climbing community to help protect the plant.

Tyler, Brian Holcomb had told us his route was unfinished so we went up to finish it back in the 80's sometime I think. I vaguely remember it was Bob McMahon, Andrew Trzynka and I. We did not make it to the high point before saying F**k this and bailing. I never went back and I don't think I could have guessed it from your picture, so thanks for sharing the name. Great guess Radek, what a total obscurity!

Greg, when is this rap-a-thon?

One of the many obscurities on the North side of Beacon that no one climbs?

IMG_2078.JPG

Greg, when is this rap-a-thon?

Bill!

We're looking at July 15th. So far "we" is the Forest Biologist and myself. Would love to have you come!

greg

Tyler, Brian Holcomb had told us his route was unfinished so we went up to finish it back in the 80's sometime I think. I vaguely remember it was Bob McMahon, Andrew Trzynka and I. We did not make it to the high point before saying F**k this and bailing. I never went back and I don't think I could have guessed it from your picture, so thanks for sharing the name. Great guess Radek, what a total obscurity!

Wow Bill great story! I'm surprised we continued on too! I'm going to meet up with Brian sometime this upcoming week to pick his brain.

thanks Bill - I've spent many hours admiring those faces from the safety of the parking lot :)

Too add to it all... I thought I was on route the whole time because I thought I was following the natural features. Thomas kept yelling at me wondering why I was throwing so much shit off having to garden every hold while placing gear behind a giant bongo flake. Once I got to my "belay" I look down and 30 ft below and way out on the face I spotted their presumed high point. Brian and company made the right choice of avoiding the choss and making the second pitch a bolted face climb. I thought the opposite, wich well in the end created that mess. We climbed another three pitches to the top, slowly the rock got better.